Old Favourites

petespops

I would prefer that Hornby concentrates on producing new models that capture the imagination rather than re-hash obsolete old toys.

If there is to be an L1 4-4-0, let it be a new tooling, with wheels that match modern track standards, a proper Maunsell tender, and better detail such as seperate handrails and accurate liveries. The Dock shunter and Nellie have now been superceded by more up-to-date models and the Steeple Cab was never a popular seller, because it was nothing like anything that most people saw in real life.

Apart for the steeple cab which is rare because no-one bought them in the first place there are hundreds of Dock Shunters, Nellies and L1s for sale second hand at reasonable prices. I paid just £12 for a Nellie in blue in full working order only last year.

Certainly I agee the Dock Shunter would be a welcome return, however if it comes back it needs a DCC socket, Cab interior, Cab glazing and LED lighting, but with the original motor that makes it such a great runner.  The same is true of the "Nellie" model, a reintro with DCC socket and original motor plus better livery, the Steeple Cab as has been said wasn't a good seller but in modern times things have changed and it's a sought after loco, again Cab glazing and interior would be good for this model.

Much as I would like the L1 to come back as a Railroad model, I can't see it happending. The L1 mould was converted into the 1973-1974 issue LMS 2P, and as Hornby already have a vintage model 2P I can't see them bringing the L1 back.

Davy Crocket and it's rollling stock would be good to bring back but I can't see much of a market for it now.  The days of children playing with cap guns and playing cowpeople and native amercians is long gone.  As a heritage collectors issue item then yes but with DCC socket in the loco, working LED headlight and cab glazing with original X.04 motor too.

I think maybe next year's sets could be updated version of classic retro sets, using the latest railroad models?  But the packaging could be based on the originals.  1977 for example was a great year (I am biased, it was my childhood modelling prime!).  Like the R683 GWR Freight, or the R686 Inter City set with Blue Class 37.  A remake of the Rural Rambler or the R687 Silver Jubilee Pullman with Albert Hall and 4 pullmans.

Of course, there have been many excellent years, and sets from the past, but this might appeal to adult collectors and new hobbyists alike?  

Actually, whilst looking through a couple of old catalogues, the old sets seemed far better value for money, and often featured extra accessories.  I know times are tough, but maybe that's what the starter sets are lacking nowadays.

• 1 month later...

Update a model to have new motor, DCC socket, glazed windows and working lights. Obviously the paint job would also be different due to modern techniques

So At what point does a Old favourite become a new model?

• 3 months later...

hi there are lots of triang dock shunters for sale on ebay and also nellie type locos.the triang dock shunter is a great loco if looked after i have 3 of them.got the first one in 1962.a good no noncense loco.if you want lights and sound and detail this loco is not for you.you get one headlight and thats it.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived