Problems on DC after changing loco ID no's

I'm fairly new to DCC and have found it very buggy so far.

i'm running railmaster with e-link on windows 7. Railmaster is updated successfully to the latest version.

two loco's where i've changed the loco id number from 0003 to either 0001 or 0002, has the following probs:

Hornby flying scotsman TTS, bought new recently, now will not run at all on DC (but still runs perfect on DCC). Before i changed the cv number, it run fine on DC.

Hornby 0-6-0 J84, bought second hand recently (aftermarket DCC fitted, unknown chip). Since renumbering, it will only run backwards on DC very slowly. On DCC it runs fine, but in the weong direction to the controller. I've tried renumbering it pointing both directions on the program track, both gives the same result. Before re-numbering, it ran fine on DC (and went in the right direction).

any ideas? Does the red and black program terminals on e-link have to specifically connect to left or right of the loco?

also i have noticed since the railmaster update, when i add a new hornby TTS sound loco to railmaster, it now automatically knows all the standard sound F functions (on the previous version i had to set them all up manually). I'm very glad about this!

oh and on a different unrelated subject, for the record, i've heard alot of people say that hornby TTS sound loco's will give out basic sounds on DC analogue. This may have worked on older models, but on my hornby R3285TTS scotsman and class 40 TTS, neither give out any sounds on DC (analogue). I'm not moaning about this, just an observation to clear up any confusion.

It sounds as if DC running is disabled.

...read CV29 in RM, then double click the value box and up will pop a tick box.

Amend if necessary and write the new value to the decoder.

Generally DC running is disabled to prevent runaway on DCC.

The one that runs backwards on DC may have been wired 'wrong' and adjusted for in the CVs Or RM to make it run the 'right' way, then when you renumbered it the adjustment was undone.

Just to follow up on what Fishy has said (what he says is correct by the way). If you use RM to read CV29 first, before writing a new address, then the value of CV29 will be retained. Many have reported that if you write an address without reading CV29 first, the value of CV29 can get set to 0 zero. If that happens, then DC running is disabled and if loco direction reversal had previously been enabled, that setting will also be reset to disabled. See the URL link Fishy provided for the CV29 detail.

Thus the outcome of that happening can be exactly as you have described. The loco no longer runs on DC analogue and runs in reverse on DCC. It is something that has been reported on the forum many times in the past.

With regard your comment:

I've heard alot of people say that hornby TTS sound loco's will give out basic sounds on DC analogue.

A bit of 'Chinese Whispers' is at work here. TTS decoders will not give ANY sounds when run on DC as they are very basic. More fully featured (more expensive) sound decoders such as Loksound CAN be configured to give a basic engine sound when run on DC. I have two Hornby RxxxxXS models, both have factory fitted Loksound decoders, both have basic sound on DC configured. But oddly, my Bachmann Loksound decoders do not have this feature factory enabled, although it can be switched on by changing the appropriate CV.

Does the red and black program terminals on e-link have to specifically connect to left or right of the loco?

No.

DCC track & programming signals are bi-polar. That means that they have both positive and negative voltage values around the zero volt line. I am reluctant to use the term AC (Alternating Current) because the DCC signal is not true AC. But in broad brush terms it can be considered so, in order to answer your question. Any AC signal is unaffected by which way round the wires are attached.

Before I changed the CV number,.................

Just a correction of terminology used. You didn't change the CV number, you changed the ID number (DCC Address). CVs and IDs are two different things.

Archived