Railmaster, goes dead

I have this annoying feature with RM, that after about 20 mins, it becomes non responsive. Does anybody else have it. BY closing down, leaving Elite powered up, and waiting say 10 mins, it re boots ok. Is there anything in the ini file that one can adjust. john

Hello John,

Occasionally. I have RM hang up completely, but not as often as 20 mins into a session. In fact, when it does happen, the whole computer is locked - neither the keyboard nor the mouse is responsive, and I have to resort to the computer on/off button to force it to close down. Although annoying, I haven't reported it to HRMS because I know I wouldn't be able to find any evidence to pass to them. There isn't even anything in the windows event logs except a message saying that the computer didn't closedown cleanly in the previous session. When you experience it does the main RM clock stop as well? Is the small square on the program line highlighted green?

Remind us what settings you have in your INI file regarding the Elite i.e. Alternate Comms, Check controller etc.

Ray

I had a similar problem with an eLink some time ago. The problem then went away when I upgraded to a later version but I can remember which version gave me the problem and which version fixed it. I'm currently using the latest 1.65.1 and not getting the problem.

only other suggestion is to try stopping RailMaster,  unplugging the cable between the PC at both ends and then plug them both back in 

John, first rule of RM troubleshooting - if you are having problems, Update to the very latest version of RM from the link and try again.  Download the setup file downstair onto a USB stick, then take it upstairs and install it, if you don't want to bring the RM laptop downstairs, which is the other way to do it.

RailMaster has been developed specifically to avoid the kind of thing that can cause a system hang.  Usually, in software, this happens where a loop is encountered and it never gets out of it.   We have been careful to avoid such traps in RailMaster to to the importance of the software running reliably at all times.  Sometimes, however, the way a program interacts with Windows can be affected by external factors such as an unstable operating system, error encountered on the hard drive or in memory or antivirus software interfering with it.  It is also possible for RailMaster to have become corrupted for any of the aboove reasons, of for it to be corrupted subtly when downloading an update from the Internet.

RailMaster keeps a detailed log of what it is doing and so if the system hangs and you are forced to power off the computer or use Ctrl-Alt-Del to terminate the program then what you should do is to email us the RailMaster log file (usually in C:Program Files (x86)Log.txt) BEFORE running RailMaster again.  It is important that you send us the log file before you start up RailMaster as this will otherwise reset the log.

We can then take a look at the log file to see what the program was trying to do when the system hung.

Although system hangs are very rare if we can receive these loog files we may be able to nip the problem in the bud as it is important for the program to run reliably for obvious reasons.

Ok, HRMS, and Ray.  Now on 1.65.1 , no better, in fact, worse. INI file. Elite Feedback, = 1, Alt comms =1, Check cont =0. Status light, black, most of the time, points dont work. When i tried the points, whole schematic, flashed about 20 times.   Solutions, please. john

Hi John,

Although not the recommended settings, I have Elite Feedback=0 and Alternate Comms=0. Give those a try to see if it helps. The flashing schematic happens the first time you switch a point if you have requested RM not to set points at start up.

Ray

Archived