eLink / RailMaster stopped working.

Guest Chrissaf

The most common reason that an eLink stops being recognised, when it previously worked OK. Is because the Com port that the eLink has been allocated by Windows has changed from that, that has been selected in RailMaster.

In RailMaster open the 'System Settings' window. In the bottom left hand corner is a bluish COG icon. Click it to open Windows Device Manager DM (the eLink needs to be physically connected to the USB port and powered up for this). Navigate to the Com port branch of the DM tree. You should see an entry that reads similar to this "USB Serial Port (ComX)" where X is a number (typically a 3 or a 4). Make a mental note of this number.

Now in the 'System Settings' screen look at the Com port number shown as being used for the eLink. This number should match the one listed in DM. If it is different, use the pull down box to select the matching Com port number.

Assuming that this is indeed your issue. The most common reason for the allocated Com port number changing and causing a mis-match is because you have plugged the eLink into a different USB port on your Laptop or PC. It is important, that once you get a working communication link between RM and your eLink that you always use the SAME physical USB port (preferably a USB2.0 one and not a USB3.0 one) for connecting your eLink (same for Elite as well).

If this is not your issue, then come back here and tell us and await further advice.

The above is demonstrated in the images below. The numbers circled in red need to match. In the example below, one is 3 and the other is 4. In the image example, they both need to be 4. Also tell us if the number in DM is 5 or above as that is a whole different 'ball game'.

/media/tinymce_upload/ba6e8155bff6f8e2de5795e0a5201cca.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2cd139487ea6d3f6b20448c013803418.jpg

I have just install rail master on my window 10 computer it worked other the elink for two days.  The Railmarster has stopped recognising the elink 

Please could you recommend how I should check and rectify this problem

• 4 weeks later...

I have programming lcos but have run in to problems 

The first loco programmed with on problem.  The next the decoder not recognise at all.  I changed the decoder with the same result.  So I move on to another loco  with the same results.  So turned everything off and left it to the next day turn everything back on tried to programming the loco again programmed with on problem. I went on to the next get got about six cv read but then it unreadable.  I turned everything off again and left it for about two hours turned everything back on loco programmed with no problems moved onto another same problem 

Can anyone make any sense of this for me and​ sergest a remedy

@GWR 77

First question: Are you using the most up-to-date version of RailMaster? It is 1.65.1 and can be downloaded from the link at the top of the RailMaster & TrackMaster section. It is important to be using the most up-to-date version before going any further.

Whenever you get strange communication issues between Windows 10 RailMaster and eLink. The first thing to check is the com port that has been allocated (see my earlier reply above). The second thing to check is that your "railmaster.ini" file has the correct settings in it for an eLink. For an eLink with Windows 10, the two entries documented below MUST be present and have =1 values.

Open the "railmaster.ini" editor by clicking the bluish COG icon in the bottom left corner of the RM 'Help' screen [? icon in top navigation bar of RM].

Click the COG and follow on screen prompts to open the editor.

Look for and confirm these following two lines are present:

Alternative comms=1

Check controller=1

If not present add them to end of the .INI file. If they are present and/or have different =values, delete them and retype them again at the end of the file. Save the file and exit the editor. Close and reopen RailMaster and test your issue again.

You can confirm that you have the latest [21st March] version of RM, by hovering the mouse cursor over the yellow rectangle box [bottom right, next to the clock] that says "1.65". If a popup saying "revision 1" appears, you have the latest version. If no popup, and the yellow box says "1.65.1", then you haven't got the latest version.

Note to future readers. The comment about the latest RM version is only applicable to the current chronological timeline. The comment will, in time, become obsolescent once versions of RM later than "1.65 Revision1" are released.

Archived