elink not working

can anybody help me . i was last working on my layout about a week ago and when i left it i forgot to unplug my elink when i went to it this morning it is dead nothing at all no power light have i burned it out by leaving it on? 

Use a multi-meter set to read 15 volts DC and measure the voltage (if present) on the DC coax connector output of the mains power pack.

If 15 volts DC present, then probably eLink is dead. If 15 volts DC not present on the power connector, then eLink probably OK and power pack is dead.

If the power pack is dead, then replace it with the 4 amp P9300 Hornby power pack.

This also has the advantage of upgrading your original 1 amp eLink power pack to 4 amps.

Don't have a multi-meter !!

I suggest buying one, it is an invaluable tool for diagnosing all types of electrical problems. Basic ones can be purchased on ebay for less than £6.

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk - shortened URL

Even though you say there is no light does it show any signs of life when first switched on such as green light flashing then going out and is there an output (around 15vAC this time) on either the Track or Prog terminals. The Prog output would only be present when the unit is reading or writing so if you can't get it onto RM then that side can't be checked.

If the eLink is not working and you feel confident enough then open it up and look for possible burning around components. You may be able to replace them. Also a bulging or blown capacitor can easily be desoldered and replaced with a new one costing pennies, literally.

It depends upon how competent you feel at doing this stuff and opening the eLink to do it.

Archived