iPad Mini 4 with RailMaster and Win7

Has anyone had any luck connecting a ipad mini 4 to RailMaster (Windows 7) ?

I've tried everything. Read the manual and all the instructions I can get my hands on but it won't connect.

Any thoughts ? I'm sure it's something really obvious I'm overlooking.

JB.

i connect both an iPad 2 and an iPad Mini 4 to RailMaster on a Win 7 PC.

Make sure the PC has a static IP address and then set that IP address into the app on the iPad by pressing the button in the bottom left corner of the app

i connect both an iPad 2 and an iPad Mini 4 to RailMaster on a Win 7 PC.

Make sure the PC has a static IP address and then set that IP address into the app on the iPad by pressing the button in the bottom left corner of the app

Thanks Nick,

I mucked round with settings in the network & sharing menus. Got it connected once then I mucked up something else.

I have no idea about networking or static ip, DNS values etc. Well, enough to cause damage.

I don't use a router. I only have a laptop with a wireless dongle and if I muck with these settings, my internet connection gets mucked up etc.

No idea what I'm doing. But I know it works as I said. I did fluke it earlier

Unfortunately, the RM application does not appear to support 'peer to peer' networking via Wifi. Peer to peer is where you can connect two PCs (Clients) directly via Wifi [note the iPad is deemed a Client also]. The connection has to go via the Wifi interface of a router. Usually your Broadband Router. It has been documented that Exhibition Layout exhibitors using RM with mobile WiFi handhelds, take a Wifi router with them for this purpose. The router does not need to have an Internet connection made to it. It's all to do with the way the Wifi communication protocol works.

Go to AC's web site (link in the sticky "RailMaster Help Site" post at the top of the forum RailMaster section), he has instructions on setting up the networking side of the configuration.

Go to his "Sub Menu 1 - Fixed IP Address" link.

Basically, you put the Static (Fixed) IP address in the RM Master PC. Then you use this address in the iPad in the part of the RM APP configuration that tells it where (networking wise) to find the RM master.

The concept is very simple, it is the execution of doing it that is not so simple for the IP networking newbie. The hardest part is deciding on what IP address to use. This depends upon what range of addresses are currently configured in the router for use within your home located network.

On AC's website you will also find some background reading PDF documents regarding general IP Networking theory (I know what info they contain, I wrote them).

Hi John - several folk have tried to explain this to me over the years, and I just cannot get my head around it either. What I have done is set RM's IP address on my iPad to the same IP address as the laptop that runs RM. The port is already set to 30 and this seems to be fine. This works every time for me (I have just tested it to check as it has been a while since I've used the iPad for this purpose). The only thing is when you open RM it will tell you that your IP configuration is incorrect. You can dismiss this warning each time it appears or change the "WARN STATIC IP=" line in the .ini file from "1" to "0" (no space between IP and the "=" or between the "=" and the "0"). This stops RM checking those settings.  Try that.

You must have RM running when you try to connect.

R-

Hi John - several folk have tried to explain this to me over the years, and I just cannot get my head around it either. What I have done is set RM's IP address on my iPad to the same IP address as the laptop that runs RM. The port is already set to 30 and this seems to be fine. This works every time for me (I have just tested it to check as it has been a while since I've used the iPad for this purpose). The only thing is when you open RM it will tell you that your IP configuration is incorrect. You can dismiss this warning each time it appears or change the "WARN STATIC IP=" line in the .ini file from "1" to "0" (no space between IP and the "=" or between the "=" and the "0"). This stops RM checking those settings.  Try that.

You must have RM running when you try to connect.

R-

Thanks Roger,

Yes, I did everything exactly as you described.

No good.

I bought this ipad thing just after Christmas and have used it probably twice.

The idea of using it with Railmaster was a way of turning it from a paper weight, into something mildly useful.

Can't stand the thing so no sleep lost ! 😎

JB

I might put it under the rear wheel of my car next time I back down the drive, just for a laugh.

I can understand why you want to give up - but I would suggest hanging on a little while. Your question has only been live for just over 24 hours and the forum has been quiet over the Easter weekend. There should be no difference between how an iPad and it's Mini counterpart function, but I confess I am stumped. You have had it working, but now neither the published method of setting it up or my cobbled together method work. R-

I can understand why you want to give up - but I would suggest hanging on a little while. Your question has only been live for just over 24 hours and the forum has been quiet over the Easter weekend. There should be no difference between how an iPad and it's Mini counterpart function, but I confess I am stumped. You have had it working, but now neither the published method of setting it up or my cobbled together method work. R-

Thanks Roger,

All ok. It would have been nice.

I think there is something wrong with my laptops LAN and other drivers.

I had to re-install a lot of drivers after my laptop crashed last week. Maybe I downloaded the wrong drivers although they show up as working ok in Device Manager.

I don't have a licence for it yet. When I did get it to briefly work yesterday a message popped up with a purchase option. ten quid i believe ?

Archived