E link

Have been using e link and railmaster , been  switched off ,returned to use this evening and cannot activate e link? no power is showing on e link ie no red light and not being recognised by railmaster.

Any ideas why out there ?  Been ok until now?

DavidT 

Do you have access to a test multi-meter. If you do, check the output of the power pack (DC Coax Connector). It should read 15 volts DC. If the 15 volts DC is present, then the Track A&B output of the eLink should read approximately 14.5 volts AC. Depending upon which voltage is not present, will give an indication of what component the fault lies with. If both voltages are present, then look at the communication between elink and RM.

Don't have a multi-meter.......then I highly recommend that you invest in this invaluable electrical diagnostic tool. Basic cheap sub £6 ones can be purchased via ebay.

You can power up eLink solo and be able to read those output voltages Chris,spoke about.

It may be Win 10 update has messed with your comm ports and RM can't see your eLink, although you,should have a green led to,show its alive.

Certainly do check Device Manager to see which com port the eLink is showing on, if it is showing at all.  If it really is completely dead, then it won't show, a check you can do before your multimeter arrives.  If it's showing, then check that RM setup has the correct port selected.

I agree with Fishy.

With Dev Mgr open when you plug in the eLink USB the device list will refresh and on my pc it bongs. Unplug it and the list refreshes again and it bongs again, so you have two positives that the comms side is connecting eLink to pc. 

All this will not happen if the eLink is dead of course.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Just to thank the forum for responses to my e link problem after doing all suggested checks unit was still faulty.

Unit was returned to Hornby who promptly returned/replaced by return of post same day,

Thank you Hornby for prompt and efficent service.  

Thanks for letting us know David. Early on there were lots of faulty eLinks (I suspect some of these may have been ok but the RM setup wrong), yours is unusual these days. Good to see Hornby came through for you, they've always replaced these without question. 

Archived