Super resistant kits

roadracer

Hi

Will Scalextric make kits to convert super resistant cars in to full detail cars ( clear glass / cockpit with racing driver /   roll gage etc. With all the new 2017 GT ARC sets having super resistant cars it would great if they can be converted into full detail cars. All the cars are made in both versions so a conversion from one to another should be possible ?.

Cheers Martin 

HI Martin,

I am not privy to any inside information at Hornby but I doubt that they could afford to to provide such kits in the near future. This is based on my (limited) knowledge) of the company and just my experience with companies in general.

While I love the idea, there is no short amount of work that goes into making detailed model interiors. The main switch to inline motors also means that the interior "pan" cannot be as deep as with a sidewinder set up.

Nevertheless, there are options. For example I have been building slot cars for about a year and as a former airplane model builder I find the satisfaction of putting on details and seeing it move around the track more fun.

You can, for example, make a "plug" of the windshield/window using a silicone mold and resin and then vacuum forming a new, clear set. You can also buy  drivers, seats and dashboards online. Some people will go online, find a picture of the interior, scale it down and print out out in high resolution and tape it to the interior..

If you go online and search on "slot car scratchbuilding" and you will find lots of ideas!

Archived