Re activating railmaster

Hi this problem has  probably been asked and replied to before but I have just managed to de activate my copy of rm before my laptop went down completely but I would like to know that when I get my laptop back again and re install rm do I have to reprogram my point decoders as they are under the board and they have to be programmed on the main or would it automatically program them when I redo my track plan as I have lost everything on my laptop and I hadn't backed it up with rm installed as I had just finished my new layout plan on it 

thanks very much again hedley 

Hedley, just for the elimination of doubt. When you configure a DCC decoder, any decoder. The configuration is held within the decoder itself. Thus you do not need to reconfigure them when you change a controller. This is fine as long as you can remember what addresses you gave them all.

However, with RM. As you haven't backed up your data, when you get your re-installed RM application key validated, you will need to recreate your track plan, your loco roster and any user generated changes (such as 'programs' for example).

In the absence of RM ProPack which has a 'back up' recovery feature. When you get your system up and running and reconfigured. Make a back up of the files documented on page 132 of the RM manual. Keep these 'back up' files up to date (i.e do them again after adding a new loco for example). If you keep a copy of these documented files somewhere safe (different PC or on a memory stick) then you will be able to recover from a PC failure more easily and efficiently.

If you can still access the hard drive on the failed PC (for example putting the hard drive in a USB caddy and connecting it as an external drive to a good working PC) then you could recover the same documented files as above from it. If you can recover these files and copy them into the re-installed working RM program folder, then RM will reinstate your currently lost track plan & loco data.

Hi Chris thanks very much again for your help it's greatly appreciated and when I think about it when I had first started with rm I had problems and after a reset of the laptop I managed to get rm up and running until last night when windows decided to update itself and I had problems since so I had thought to do a factory reset and to start again and I had just managed to de activate rm and now I have nothing on my laptop at all so when I do get up and running I'll upgrade it to the pro version as I was thinking about doing it anyway thanks very much again hedley 

Archived