Power Booster

The Owl

Hi,I have a large layout and need to increase the power for my DCC  Select controller.

I have a laptop charger rated at 19vdc @ 4amps does anyone know is this suitable as the current charger supplies at 15vdc @ 1 amp?  Just concerned that the voltage will go up by 4 volts

To boost power across a large layout you must divide the layout into separate and isolated power districts and provide each district with a device that will pass along the DCC signal from the prime district and only DCC controller, whilst providing separate power to that/those isolated districts.

The hornby device is both a signal amplifier and power booster R8239.

Normally a Select will run a large layout if powered by the Hornby 4-amp power supply unit rather than its own 1-amp unit.

Using the laptop supply to boost a layout is fraught with disaster and as stated could destroy your Select and loco decoders.

Rob

Thanks for all the advise. Definately will not plug in my laptop charger.

It all turns out that what I thought was a power issue-ie the locos kept resetting the controller whenever it passed over a certain sections of track-after removing the track pins all now works fine! Could not see any fault with the pins or track-all a bit strange

Stalling on points is usually due to bad contacts between the wheels and the track but when the controller resets or shows overload (especially frequent with the Select) it's a sign of a short circuit, even a very brief one caused by the wheels bridging between two rails at opposite polarity, or phase on DCC.

With the 1 amp supply when the Select experiences a short or overload the PSU will pick up the fault and reduce its voltage, causing the Select to reboot until the fault is cleared.

With the 4 amp supply the Select inbuilt overload protection comes into play and it shuts down until the fault clears.

Rob

• 2 years later...

To boost power across a large layout you must divide the layout into separate and isolated power districts and provide each district with a device that will pass along the DCC signal from the prime district and only DCC controller, whilst providing separate power to that/those isolated districts.

ref

Ref above,  how do you do that ?  Is there a circuit diagram I could follow ?  Not sure how I get the dcc signal from my e link without also the power from my e link ?