Touchscreen Monitor: Resolution?

RB51

Search for the manual on-line BEJ as some laptops are quite easy to get apart and some are real pigs.

The actual dismantling and cleaning job once you are in is fairly simple as long as you take normal anti-static precautions.

Of course you may need a special screwdriver, and definitely some IPA cleaner and thermal paste.

I replaced my elderly laptop screen and have taken most pc-y things apart to fettle them including my big all in one pc which is a heavy brute with hidden screws. Same principles though, have the correct tools and parts, follow the book and be static aware.

Rob

I've never, ever, used anti-static anything to take apart and fix any PC or laptop in my 30+ years doing them. I find they are cumbersome and get in the way. If in doubt then of course use one but I am mega careful anyway and have not blown a chip anywhere on any board... and I must say I have done hundreds.

To clean off any dried original pad from a processor you can simply use a piece of kitchen towel and this will be safe enough. Just don't use any sharp ended blades or anything that will scratch the surface. They are robust enough to use a finger nail through the towel and you can apply the new thernal paste with your finger. Apply that centrally on the processor spreading outward to all edges and ensure it is not too thinly spread as to see the metal of said processor. Nor too much so it seeps outside of the heatsink and drops everywhere. Static can be discharged by touching bare metal surfaces before stripping down components.

Rob... sorry, that may seem to contradict your own advice. It doesn't. It adds to it hopefully as many techs don't use those things anyway.

Manuals are available but some, like Acer, do not allow easy downloads of these things, called service manuals, but others like HP, Toshiba and Dell have them available on their own sites or easily elsewhere for no cost.

Screwdrives to have are the ones Rob mentions but also magnetic, long and thin star drivers for use on the external case screws only. Non magnetic for those holding the main board in place etc. Be prepared for the unexpected. Some laptops will require only a small cover be removed to access the heatsink and processor but others require a total strip down. Remember where each screw is taken from. Make a note of this or place each case screw in a pattern on your desk... if they are different sizes.

Also be very careful when lifting cable releases like the ribbons or even the pull out type... these are very fragile.

If a shop tech is going to do this make sure they are insured in case of damage.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some research into possible purchases, here in Spain, and have come up with these as available on Spanish Amazon (I get free delivery) and reasonable prices. (I am posting the links to these monitors on the UK site so that the descriptions etc are in English!).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viewsonic-TD2421-1080pixels-Dual-touch-Multi-user/dp/B01MXXEDEC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504868786&sr=8-2&keywords=ViewSonic+TD2421

which is "only" 239€ here in Spain.

And

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewSonic-TD2220-2-2-Points-1920x1080-Resistant/dp/B00GSIGQ6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504869150&sr=8-1&keywords=ViewSonic+TD2220-2

which is 244€. 

I am not sure I want a screen as big as 24" but the 24" is, bizarrely, 5€ cheaper than the 21.5" one! The prices on Amazon UK are different. Just posting here in case anyone has any views on this make/model. Also re the size. 

Archived