Thomas Tank engine Passenger Set

CoolHandLuke

Hi there, complete newbie to modle railways so please bear with me.
My 2 year old son received the above set for christmas along with track extensions B&C and a Emily train.

It is possible to make this digital and how?
I coud really do with

what's required as I prefer to convert it all now before he gets more trains..
Ideally he'd like to run 2 or more trains at the same time. Can we convert the two trains?

Any help, pointer advise greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Hi,

This is a super present for anyone. You can convert the two trains to DCC operation by adding a decoder to each of the engines - this may require some careful soldering and dismantling of your new locomotives. You would then require a suitable

DCC controller / transformer such as the Hornby Select (or Elite). When converting to DCC it would be good to take out the capacitor from the power clip and convert the turnouts using the Hornby clips (Item no R8232).

An easier and cheaper way to achieve

what you require would be to obtain a second DC Controller & power clip as shown in the 2011 Hornby Catalogue page 148.

I hope this is helpful.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Conversion of the locomotives shold be fine. Emily should have an 8 pin DCC socket, just don't touch the decoder without using anti-static handling precautions as decoders are static sensitive devices and static electricity can damage the sensitive electronics

on board. A lot of locos out there fitted with deocders without using anti-static precatious will show decoder faults in later years because the owners have handled the decoders.

Whilst you youngster is probably too young to understand DCC at present

an Elite controller will be of great use in later years.

Archived