Detailed Tank Engines

GWR  LNER fan 4472

I think it's about time that Hornby produced some detailed tank engines, especially with the success of the Peckett 0-4-0ST and basically all other tank engines in the less-detailed Railroad range. Smaller wheelbases are ideal for tiny scene layouts as well as extensive model railways.

The things to keep in mind are, as always, good detailing, good running, DCC ready (if at all possible) and a reasonable price. In my opinion, the price for a highly-detailed tank engine should be somewhere around £60-£100.

I would like to see inparticularly pre-grouping tank engines as well as Big Four and BR liveries. Locos such as the ones of the South Wales companies. These were notably 0-6-2s.

What are your thoughts on this? Please suggest more detailed tank engines you'd like to see.

I don't think Hornby (or the other train makers including Hattons, Kernow,  Bachmann and Oxford) are doing at all badly with their selection of new (and detailed) tank engines recently.

There is scope for more of course, the North Eastern is badly under-represented and I am sure that devotees would appreciate a G5 (say) and perhaps something is needed for Scottish fans too. A G.E.R. Y6 or J70 might also be popular.

No I think tanks are now being taken more seriously. Only yesterday two new tanks DJ models and Dapol have tanks in the pipeline. Bachmann are working on the MR 0-4-4t which I am really pleased with.  Of course there is many more to pick from.  And for myself I'd like to see the MR 0-4-0st 0p. And the jhonson jinty would be nice. But both are long shots.  I do think the LNER chap's are in need of some new tanks frist.  Many lovely class between J71-J91

The LNER J67/J68/J69 (Great Eastern R24,C72 & S5) classes 0-6-0T once featured in the original Graham Farish N gauge range would also be a popular choice. Examples worked throughout the LNER including in Scotland, and on Merseyside, in the Welsh Marches and the Wirral.

Thanks Doc, I don't take this magazine, well not regularly anyway, so I missed that.

These models sponsored by magazines and large dealers are filling up the gaps quite nicely. I bought one of Model Rail's Sentinel shunters a few years ago (the steam one not the diesel which Hornby makes) which is a nice little loco.

If Hornby started to look at their range they would soon see that the old Traing era items with goalpost couplings are so long in the tooth that they now need to be removed from the production space that they buy in China and start doing more detailed wagons and tank locos. As mentioned the Peckett was a fantastic success and I am sure that the new SECR H 0-4-4T will be another big hit as the SECR version is already sold out at many retailers pre orders. That to me says get more made as demand is out stripping supply. If the factory is making old badly detailed items try to get the production of top sellers moved and add more in those slots. As LC&DR says the ER part of the country has loads of unmade as yet options. I do also note that Hornby are very southern biased in their outlook. We have now the new H class coming and from what I see Bachmann are making SE&CR coaches. What do Hornby have? Nothing as far as I can see. I am afraid that if they do not do joined up thinking they will fail. There must be many wagons and vas that the are making that need only livery changes to suit all the range.

Archived