TTS scotsman with new decoder

rob144

Hi just got one of the new A3 decoder for my flying Scotsman  but when I try to change the address  from 3 I can't  

It's also  very slow to move and stutters does any one  have this problem and how to fix or do I return chip to hornby it may be faulty 

Rob, welcome to the forum.

I have deleted a double post posing the same question.

As you don't say whether or not how you tested the loco may I suggest, and forgive me if you have laready done this, place the loco on programming track and not the main running track. The programming track on either your Elite or eLink will have two connections for the programming track and it is on there you change the number from 3 to whatever.

If you have already done all that and are confident you've already checked connections to the track etc. try putting the chip into another loco and testing it again.

Also put a good chip you know works into the Scotsman and test again. That way you will easily identify if the chip is damaged or not. If you've tried all that then maybe take the chip back to your retailer or contact Hornby but one should try the tests above first then we can take this one further.

Rob144, there are a number of TTS posts in the DCC sub-forum section, many with similar issues to your own. Give them a review, you may find your answer hidden in them. These newly released Hornby TTS decoders do seem to have a high number of 'unable to address' issues. One solution that seems to work, is to 'configure on the main' using the "operate" configuration mode supported by the Elite (not supported by either eLink or Select).

The stuttering is also often reported in the forum with a 'fix' that involves changing one of the CVs. You can't do this with the Select controller however, only Elite & / or eLink........what controller are you using?.......telling us this will help focus member's answers.

As I said above, review the previous posts to find the answers.

Normally I would do the donkey work and post a link to the relevant previous posts, but in this case there are just too many of them for that to be effective.

Hi Rob ,,,,,which Scotsman have you installed the decoder in ( R number ) ,,the reason I ask is because over the last couple of years some people claim the jerky running is down to the decoder ,others the motor that is installed in the TTS locos ,,,i personally claim it's the decoder ,,,,anyway you can change the agorythm which is in the leaflet and should smooth out the jerky running ,also these TTS locos are best run in 128 speed steps which helps as well ,,,,mjb

Archived