Problem programming loco

Hello all, this may sound like a stupid question but I'm stuck so turn to you all for help.

Bought a new 21 pin decoder recently. Put it in my loco on the programming track and  using railmaster on a laptop changed decoder setting to 3439 via the blue circled i button and clicked the green tick button to sort out the CV's. For 25 minutes the loco moved backwards and forwards gently on the programming track whilst this was done. I transferred the loco to the main track and clicked the the green button, no movement. Loco works fine under AC power and has done with a different chip in it, and other loco's are working fine on the main track.

It's been a while since I've set up a decoder, have I missed a step?

I dug out my old Select and put the loco on the length of track attached to it, without any speed on the dial or any programing the loco crawled forward, stopped, crawled again, stopped. I tried programming it through the select, red light flashed 3 times and then stopped so it should have worked but again no response when the speed dial was turned.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks Mike

3439 is a four digit extended DCC address. Did you use the correct (different from normal) process to configure this four digit address.

See this previous post for details:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/4-digit-extended-loco-address-in-railmaster/?p=1

PS - I would write 8 to CV8 first of all to reset the decoder back to default (will make loco DCC address 003 again) before performing the actions documented in the linked post.

You did not say which 21 pin decoder it was nor did you identify which controller you used first. Some controllers and some decoders just will not talk to each other properly despite being designed to be compliant with NMRA rules, but maybe not warranted by NMRA.

There has also be comment that turning a loco round on the programming track may allow it to be programmed, although there is no credible reason why this should work.

Rob

Thanks for your replies, its a Bachmann 36-557 decoder, I've tried with both my railmaster and sel6cet both or which are working fine and programming other loco's, I've tried the chip in more than one loco but still no go. I have another of the same chip already installed without issue so I think it's just this one that's a dud. I've already contacted my local retailer to advise and I'm sure they wil sort it out without issue. I know it sounds crazy but I will try turning it round on the programming track, just in case!

Archived