Hornby Elite Unable to open designated DCC Controller Port

Happy New Year !
My first use of this forum so I hope someone out there can help me.

I have just installed Railmaster 1.3 with Elite running in Standard v1.3. After some difficulty getting the software to work it worked fine and my layout was

transformed. A great bit of software by Hornby. Running on Windows 7 on a Sony Viao Net book (just the right size for the loft) and having made sure I installed the software under administrator rights after hours reading all the instructions!!

But then

disaster, everything stopped and just won't start again. The Elite runs the layout with no problem on its own but all of a sudden the response when opening Railmaster is 'unable to open designated DCC Controller Port, Hornby Elite, Invalid Port Number'

The

COM port originally allocated COM24 when the software was installed and I changed it back to Com1 where the system worked from for 2 days. Now although the COM port is changed back to COM1 and shows correctly in the settings its still refuses to operate.

Any

ideas anyone ??

Any advise much appreciated

Thanks

most definatly a com port problem

check in device manager the com port the elite is on
check also the setings baud rate , parity and so on
then go into settings in railmaster and make sure they are all the same there
normaly the com port

would be 3 or 4 if not make so
keep away from 1 and 2 for some reason windows uses them
high number com port settings are virtul ports and and can and will keep changing
ok for plugging usb sticks and the like but the elite need a constant port referance

then

boot laptop
wait 15 sec
plug in elite to usb port ( always use the same one )
wait 15 sec
plug in elite
wait 15 sec
click on railmaster

should be ok

rgds
Mike

Steve & Mike,

Thanks for both your help. I have just persuaded it to accept COM 3 after a significant number of hours today restarting, unplugging and re-installing the COM ports and software. Layout back in operation.

Interesting that my

Elite still shows only Standard and not Classic at any time. Does Classic make a difference to the operation?

Andrew

Archived