TTS Sound chip in hornby exDapol Castles

BobHughes60

I bought 3 of these and retrofitted into 2 Hornby castles,Ince and Penrice no problems.
I then tried fitting a third into an older Hornby Dapol castle - Winchester castle to be precise.
With the 8 pin plug attached I found there was insufficient room in the tender to add a decoder socket so I cut off the plug and soldered extension leads to the grey,black,red and orange leads to go to the "ringfield" motor in the loco body.
As the speaker has a magnetic rim it sits on the tender weights quite firmly with the decoder+insulation tacked on top.
The leads were twisted into 2 groups grey+black, red+orange then passed through the gap where the 2 hooks of the drawbar assembly fit.
I soldered the leads in place, put the loco body back and tried it out.
There was a problem on my NCE Powercab with the loco becoming obviously jerky at about 70 on the speed setting.Having read the information slip I then altered CV 150 from 0 to 1.
This utilizes another algorithm. No jerkiness at the setting of 70 with this speed setting!
No doubt more experienced DCCers can tell me about other CV settings to achieve the same effect.
I hope this information proves useful.
Bob Hughes

You’ve found the correct solution Bob.  Without exaggeration or my tongue in my cheek, there must be close to a trillion posts in here on changing the motor algorithm to fix jerky running. 

Hornby would do do well to at least swap the default algorithm, if not ditch 0 altogether. 

Fishy

It would make even more sense for each TTS decoder to set itself according to the particular model and the motor in that model.

This could be done by way of storing the loco ID (make/model not its running address) in a CV and having that CV affect other CV settings, much like CV29 settings affect other CV settings like direction, DC runnning etc.

For example if we have a particular value in say CV159 denoting that this is a FS Railroad version TTS decoder then that tells CV150 it should be value 1 and adjusts CVs 15X to further refine the running.

Rob.

Having read a lot more  on this and other forums I reprogrammed the chip to default values by entering 8 to CV8 having made a note of the working not default settings.

I used alorithm 0(i.e. 1) and had aplay with  the settings of CV151 and 152 making sure CV151 was double the value of CV152.

Giving higher values simply moved the juddering up the speed notch i.e. smooth at 70 but judders at 90 dial setting on my NCE Powercab.

I therefore switched back and intend to use Motor algorithm 2 (i.e. 1 in Cv150).

I did notch the volumes up in to 8 in Cv160 and 161.

Quite happy with the result for the money.

Bob hughes

Archived