eLink with more than nine accessory decoders

Guest Chrissaf

I have ten accessory decoders on my layout and intend to add several more. i use elink for accessories and elite for loco control. elink wont work with the ten decoders but will if i remove any one of them. if i use the elite all works ok. has anyone any sujestions why elink wont work with more than nine decoders.

As far as I am aware and according to the RailMaster manual, the eLink should work with up to 2048 accessory addresses, that equates to 512 x four port accessory decoders. The only accessory decoder limitation I see is one of power consumption. Thus 512 is a theoretical limit that may not be achievable in practice as their number will be limited by the current available from the power supply.

However that said, even the 1 amp supply should be enough current for far more than 9 units. Subject to your attached accessory devices being solenoid point ports that are only being fired sequentially one at a time.

If you are using lots of accessory decoder ports with 'always on' outputs such as, for example, signals. Then it is probable that your total current drawn with the nine decoders is close to, or exceeding your 1 amp supply, and your accessory devices work with the Elite because it has a 4 amp supply. You really didn't give much information relating to how you are using the decoders in your query.

As you are using both Elite and eLink, then I take it that the 4 amp Elite is controller A (track and locos) and the 1 amp eLink is controller B (accessories only).

I suppose it is possible that the controller B interface is limited to 9 accessory decoders, but I have never heard of any limitation of this type being present in the RailMaster software. However, I can't comment from personal experience as I use only 3 x 4 port decoders.

Hopefully, HRMS will see this question and provide clarification. Hence why I moved your question here from the DCC sub-forum.

As an experiment, why not use your 4 amp Elite PSU on your eLink and see if that allows you to use all 10 decoders. The 4 amp PSU is totally compatible with the eLink, you will not do any harm. The P9300 4 amp PSU is the official Hornby replacement PSU for the eLink.

PS - You didn't say. What accessory decoder are you using, is it a Hornby one i.e R8247 or a different brand. What is the model number?

Archived