R8213 DCC Controller

Traveller1

Good Evening. Being new to model railways. Started late. But also introducing my 6yo grandson to the pleasure. (He is going to help me build the layout). I have purchased an R8213 controller. I also have a small number of engines (no chips fitted). Could anyone please point me in the direction of how to use it? Thanks in advance.

Don't forget, that you will need to fit DCC decoders (chips as you termed them) to your locos before trying out your controller. Do not try and run any locos without decoders with the Select, even if the manual says you can. Although technically possible, you risk burning out the loco electric motors.

As HB intimated above, you may have an older Select with earlier firmware. When powering up the Select look at the LCD screen and you should see three pairs of numbers flash up on the screen for example:

11 30 03 or 13 30 03 or 14 30 03 or 15 30 03

The first two characters define the firmware revision that is to say the 11 is version 1.1, the 13 is version 1.3 etc.

You need to download the correct Select manual for the version of firmware installed. As there are only two manual choices on the Hornby download page, then download the 1.4 manual for firmwares 1.1 to 1.4.

If the Select has been bought from your supplier as a 'brand new' Select, then an upgrade to the latest version 1.5 is free. If it has been purchased as a 'previously owned' (presumably the case, else you would have had a paper manual with it), then there is a £15 upgrade charge.

If on the other hand, you have purchased a new Select and do have the paper manual, and you are asking your question (How to use it?) because you cannot make head nor tail of the manual contents. Then it is beyond the scope of this forum to completely replicate the contents of the manual in a 'Jack and Jill' written format. In which case, 1) fit the Decoders to your locos, then 2) work your way methodically through the manual, then 3) ask questions here for the bits that you're getting stuck on.

Alternatively, there are many 'How to' videos on YouTube......review some of them on the clickable link below. But do take into account when watching these videos that the way that the Select operates was fundamentally changed with the release of version 1.5 firmware. Thus, if you have version 1.5 and the YouTube video controllers have 1.4 firmware and below, the 'How To' descriptions in the videos will be different.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Hornby+Select

Archived