Castle class TTS decoder CV readings

tnttrucker

I have two Castle class TTS decoders and I have had a problem reading CVs with both of them using Railmaster and Elite.

Both chips were showing CV7 as R8245 Shappire decoder and subsequently listed the CVs relevant to that chip which meant that I could not easiliy change or adjust CV values for motor algorithms or volume etc. I should point out that the sound and functions work.

I have been in contact with Hornby service and returned one of the chips which I received back today.  CV7 is now a 'Factory fitted 4 function decoder' with even less adjustable CVs but the sound and functions still work. Once again I have emailed Hornby and await out come.

My question is has anyone else had issues like this with TTS decoders in general or specific loco types?

It may be a case of RM catching up with Hornby as there was a lot of discussion on here recently about RM misreading TTS decoder types.

Can you read a value direct with the Elite for CVs 7, 156, 157 and/or 158. If so what.

Rob

On Rm catching up, download and install the very latest version of RM from the link at the top of this forum, whether you think you already have the latest or not, and see if that has made a difference.

I have just tried re-installing the last version and it has not changed the situation apart from it now reads 

CV8 as '048' followed by 'Could not verify'.

Thanks anyway.

It may be a case of RM catching up with Hornby as there was a lot of discussion on here recently about RM misreading TTS decoder types.

Can you read a value direct with the Elite for CVs 7, 156, 157 and/or 158. If so what.

Rob

Hello Rob,

As I have already said I have two of these decoders one which has been back to Hornby and one which I had fitted and works.

The one that has not been back to Hornby, CVs as read by Elite are

CV7 - '010' (In Railmaster then says 'R8245 Sapphire decoder')

CV156 - '165'

CV157 - '005'

CV158 - '010'  

The one that's been back, the Elite reads are

CV7 - '012'  (Again in Railmaster this says it,s 'Factory fitted 4 function decoder')

CV156 - '165'

CV157 - '005'

CV158 - '010'

Both of these chips work, the functions are all there and work as Castle class decoders. I just cannot see the CVs in Railmaster but I can still adjust volumes etc;.

I just tried Fishmanoz suggestion and as you can see, CV8 for both decoders returns '048' 'Could not verify'

It is very frustrating. I am still waiting forn a response from Hornby.

My understanding was that CV7 is Firmware version, not chip identity. I think Railmaster is interpreting it wrongly, and it's RM who need to sort this out, not Hornby. CV8 should read 048, so why it can't verify that must be RM not understanding what it's reading.

Recap from a post I put up some time ago...

CV8 should read 048 for any Hornby decoder.

CV7 is as stated by ff2nd the decoder PIC code version number, which is used in conjunction with other CVs to determine the actual decoder type as explained later.

At present the introduction of TTS decoders appears to have upset the previously stable order of things as before there were only the basic decoder and Sapphire types, but now we have TTS in diesel and steam types with each loco class being distinct and some locos within a class being different - e.g. Whistles can vary such as Tornado and FS and others in the generic A1/A3 class. Then we have retro TTS adding to the mix, with the whole lot confused by existing earlier decoders which cannot be reworked to change their codes.

To get round identifying the many TTS variants Hornby has said the new leaflets will explain about extra CVs which RM will have to use to process the decoder read and identify procedure, which we know from the above report back by exTNT still has not caught up yet.

Basically RM should read CV7 and 8 to determine it is a Hornby decoder and its basic type by PIC code version, then look at these other CVs to determine exactly which decoder type and variant.

CV7 Decoder PIC code version number. Is it a TTS decoder or something else, if TTS which one. Later PIC codes will specify which one.

CV8 Manufacturers ID - 048 is Hornby Hobbies.

CV156 Loco ID probably down to an exact R number or named loco.

CV157 Motor type to show difference between Railroad and Main range models such as 3/5 pole, etc. It is possible that the value of this code could set another CV to alter the TTS motor algorithm automatically.

CV158 Sound code version to shown difference between models with improved sound sets like whistles, horns or other features like the newply announced expanded cold start feature on the Class 08 shunter.

CV159 Sound code ID specific to a loco model.

RM obviously has to read these in a particular order to get the output logic correct. I.e. CV8 first, etc in order to load the correct CV table for the decoder read, which is not happening now and then at present.

As reported it would appear RM has misread both these Castle TTS decoders, even though one showed code 12 which at time of my research identified only the Black 5 TTS code. Code 10 is indeed the code for a Sapphire. Future basic decoders will have their own code but that doesn't help with existing ones.

I hope the above makes sense and explains why these codes are a tad awry at present and why existing codes will make the task of HRMS keeping track all the more difficult until more examples of TTS codes are seen in use.

Rob

HRMS to the rescue...

Download v1.67 although this was in v1.66.1 as well.

Read your TTS loco and if it misidentifies the decoder double click CV7 and pick from the database the correct decoder. The decoder will then read again and the correct CV set will load.

This force ID can be used with any decoder in case of a miss read.

Rob

HRMS to the rescue...

Download v1.67 although this was in v1.66.1 as well.

Read your TTS loco and if it misidentifies the decoder double click CV7 and pick from the database the correct decoder. The decoder will then read again and the correct CV set will load.

This force ID can be used with any decoder in case of a miss read.

Rob

Thank you for that, I have now the correct CVs in the settings menu which will make things easier.

I think you must have a 'Hot Line' to Hornby as they have not yet replied to. Thanks again.

Des.

Archived