Hornby Magazine - don't be mislead. Hornby Wainwright H

PeterBal

In an article describing fitting DCC sound to the Hornby H it is said in the January 2018 edition (page 86 bottom left) that a Gaugemaster DCC29 is an ideal choice of decoder for a non sound fitting and will fit comfortably. Take it from me having tried it isn't and doesn't! A correctly seated DCC29 chip sits too high in the socket to permit the body to be reseated fully on the chassis. It would no doubt be possible to make it fit by removing the socket supports but personally I would prefer not to make this modification. I am not sure how to inform Hornby magazine of this error.

By way of further comment I borrowed  a TCS DP2X-Uk from my M7.  It fitted a treat.

Personally, I have found the TCS DP2X-UK to be good all round decoder. I think where an eight-pin decoder is required, it is fitted into all of my operational loco's, except the Hornby Class 08, which has the R8249(?), and it runds superbly. I was lucky, when in Florida, to find a model railway shop that had the TCS decoders a lot cheaper than in the UK, so I bought a dozen.

Archived