Using elite aux for Concepts ADS-8SX decoder

Peacock1

I have built a 00 6x2 shunting layout (end to end) with electrofrog points and will be using seep motors (x11). I want the option to control the points with switches rather than DCC.  I have been looking at using a DCC concepts ADS 8 SX decoder linked to the Aux on my elite.  Would this work or should I use a separate dc power source. I believe DCC concepts guide you to using the track power bus to power the points. Any help and advice would be appreciated. 

I agree with St1ngr4y: I run 3 of the ADS8FX and 4  of the ADSF2X on my layout. All of them are just connected to the track/bus of the Elite. That means I use DCC power to do what I think you are asking as I have also used spst touch button switches in mimic panels to manually throw the points via the in built connections as well as using Railmaster and a walkabout Select and the Elite. It all works great. Andy

No need for the Aux output to be used. The ADS2SX or the larger ADS8SX use the DCC power to feed the accessory decoder.  A pair of DCC input terminals are located at the end of each decoder. The ADSnSX range are the newer ones and have a metal cover over the circuit boards components. Each output of these decoders has its own dedicated CDU. So on the 8 output version their are 8 CDUs fitted.   Each output is capable of operating two solenoid points motors together e.g. Hornby R8014 or R8243 point motors. All Peco PL10 and PL11 and all the Seep/GM ones too.

Along the longer edges on each side are rows of terminals. Their are 12 terminals per dedicated output. T1 to T3 are the point motor coils left & right and the return. Next is the three for manual switch operation. This can be two push to make Push Buttons switches that do not lock or a none locking sprung to centre off toggle switch of the (On)-Off-(On) type. T4 & T6 go to the outer tags of a toggle switch and T5 to the middle tag.  T7, T8 & T9 are for Electrofrog point frog polarity switching (Not used on Hornby points). T10, T11 & T12 are used for feed mimic panel point position LED indications if required. A series resistor is needed when LEDs are used. I suggest a 1K0 (1000 ohm) might give good illumination, but you can go as low as 560R (560 ohm).

So, on the ADS2SX there are two rows of 12 terminals while on the larger 8 way decoder ADS8SX their are four blocks of 12 terminals each side. Then between each block there are the decoder address number setting slide switch which is used to give each output its unique address number.

The manual for these accessory decoder can be found on the manufacturers web site.

Archived