New tyres for old cars

NinjaD82

Having set the Scalextric up for the kids (and myself if I'm honest) some of the old cars from my childhood need some spare parts. I am looking for spare tyres for the following cars:

• Ferrari F40
  • Datsun 260Z
  • Ford Capri Mk3
  • Original mini Cooper Mk1

Yes it's a long shot but if any of you know where I can source the correct spare tyres, I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Hi.  The Ferrari F40 used to take the wider ribbed tyres, approx 19x10mm, but it's also happy on the slightly bigger 'group C slicks', approx 20x9mm.  The Datsun, Capri & old Mini all used to take the small smooth tyres known as 'minislix'.

You will find many reproduction tyres on eBay and elsewhere, at varying prices and qualities, - including some very dubious & expensive urethane or silicone clones!  But as a slot car fan, repairer, restorer and seller, I genuinely recommend the "Sandbach Slot cars".  Mark's tyres are extremely well made, quiet-running, grippy - and very good value, with cheap P&P.  He also does the F1 tyres for most periods.  I use his tyres on nearly all my restorations & repairs and for my own 'stable' of cars.

I had to repost this removing info that is violation of theforum guidelines

• We will not accept active promotion or advertising of non-Hornby Hobbies brands.
  • Never post personal information, such as your address, telephone number or email address

Thank you for your understanding.

I had recently similar problem; I found two Fords from my childhood - early 80s - and the original tires had no traction at all. With little googling I found website for a shop in Solihull which had an excellent compatibility guide for vintage cars and matching spare parts.

I won’t name any names for fear of forum violation but hopefully this helps.

Linking to shops that offer spare parts is not a problem as long as they are not owned by a competitor of Hornby Hobbies.

Posting e-mail addresses or Facebook links is not OK.

As you say though, if you google somethign like "tires scalextric datsun 280" you will likely get what you want.

Archived