Railmaster / Elink

RDS

Manny4911, welcome to the Forum.

I have moved your post to this section, where it will attract the attention of RM users.  In the meantime, there is a post right at the top of this section that deals with exactly this type of problem and may provide the help you need.

I'm hoping someone out there can advise an old fella about a problem i am about to encounter.

My Laptop is playing up with a drivers problem and to do a fix i have been advised to do a reboot back to factory start. It's only 2 years old and running on windows 10.

If and when i do it, can i reload my original railmaster disc or do i have to buy a new one.

Regards Manny

Hi Manny I too have an elink controller and a Windows 10 laptop if you have already registered your railmaster with your code before you reset your computer deregister railmaster within the railmaster screen and after you have sorted out your computer you can then use the link at the top of the forum and download railmaster again as it's the latest version and  then register your railmaster with your activation code again that you already have and theirs no need to purchase another copy of railmaster as I have done this with my laptop as I had a faulty laptop at the beginning of the year and I had managed to deregister just before my laptop gave up the ghost anyway if you haven't had a chance to deregister contact Hornby customer services and they'll reset your details for you to register again but I know that I might have made a couple of errors in my reply but Chris and the other lads and lasses will probably explain it better than me as I am too an old fella and just starting to get the hang of dcc Hedley

I've moved Manny's second post here as well as the two topics are related or have a very good chance to be.

Welcome to the forum Manny.

The link Chrissaf supplies is to my own site Manny and his advice may well help on both issues you have here...

Dealing with IT for many years I can tell you you probably have been ill advised to do a factory reset on your system. A driver issue is always solvable around 95% of times.

If it is hardware related then go to Device Manager in the Control Panel and delete the hardware responsible. This should take the drivers with it.

Once deleted and still in Device Manager do a scan for new hardware via the menu at the top of the DM window. This should pick up the hardware again and load a fresh copy of said driver especially if conected to the Internet at that time.

If you've done all that already you should give us more info re the issue and what driver it is that is causing the problem.

Too many times I have had laptops and PC's brought to me where the client has been advised to do the factory reset and every time it has been totally unnecessary. First off you would need to backup all data to another drive, memory card etc. then note all programs you had installed so you can put them all back without worrying about if you got them all first time.

Anyway, let us know how this part goes first but, yes, deactivate RM before going down the drastic route. Let's see if we can avoid that for you first though....

Archived