Slow out of the box.

smiley bill

Hi all, Merry Xmas to everybody.

I have a small collection of cars i keep in a cabinet as a static display, still in boxes never run.

I recentely acquired a new Bathurst Legends set with the Falcon/Torana combination. All went well with the setup of the track and running the cars.

I decided to run a couple of cars from my cabinet as well however i'm having trouble with one of my other Toranas. It doesn't seem quite as quick as the other cars but on the exit of both hairpin bends (with lane crossovers) it really slows down then has to accelerate again.

Any advice on setup/tuning of new cars or what to check re. this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bill.

Hi Bill - could be it's just a slower car... but there are a few things to do that might be causing that hairpin problem.

1) Flashing round the rear wheels. It's just worth looking around the rear wheels and see if any rogue plastic from the mould is interfering with the wheels / tyres. That could be from the body (the wheel arches) or from the chassis. Gently remove it with an emery board / nail file.

2) Gear mesh. Could be the gears aren't meshing too well, especially the 'inline' cars like the Torana. The rear light cable might even be interfering with the gears - I had this problem with a BTCC MG. Take the body off and see whats going on inside. Slowly rotate the rear wheels - see if the gear is sticking on any teeth. If the gear is really sticking on a tooth, I use a tiny flat-headed screwdriver to gently 'shave' the side of the gear tooth until it rotates more freely. Add a little light oil too. Running in the gear with the wheels off the track will help get the gears meshing better. And on the track, the gear mesh will improve with use.

3) Braid plate. Check the braid plate is in the correct position. The braids are held on a flat disk which slots into the guide blade. The disk can become dislodged and move forward slightly, causing issues with connectivity, stuttering etc. Push it back so it sits firmly in the slot in the guide blade and is centred over the round guide blade base.

There are some more advanced Tuning Tips here: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/five-top-tuning-tip-for-christmas

Have fun and Merry Christmas!

Archived