Set up in my shed

Johnboy99

Hello Johnboy99. Why not have the best of both worlds - use the small bedroom in Winter and the Canary Shed in the other warmer seasons ? I do something similar, not using our garage layout while the weather is cold (and storing the locos inside the house). You could even call a station in the shed "Canary Wharf" . 😀 A Very Merry Christmas to you. Jimbo.

Hi johnboy99 ,,,,,,with no disrespect to the other guys on here I can say that I have a fully built and running layout in the shed ,,it isn't insulated or heated and does get hot in the summer and cold in the winter ,I tend to have a break from running it in the coldest of days/months and the same in the summer ,I don't leave any locos or the controller in the shed in the winter time either ,I think you would be OK with your layout in the shed ,,,please let us know what you decide,,,,,,mjb

Problems - feathers and seed in the works!  :-) (Not counting 'bird-bombs'!)

If you decide to build in the shed, make sure that you have plenty of under-structure to the boards, so that they cannot warp, sag, or droop.

As said, take the electronic parts indoors for the winter, and be aware that card models won't take very kindly to the temperature, even if it is dry in there, so make them portable as well.

Just put a simple layout together, and leave it, to see how it over-winters. There's no point in going for fully detailed stuff, if it all falls apart at the first cold snap.

Presumably you have mains electric in the shed, so it would be wise to have a BIG, clearly marked, circuit breaker that turns EVERYTHING off, just inside the door, for just in case.

When you say the birds don't like heat does that mean you couldn't maintain say a temperature of 10 degrees centigrade? Would that be too warm for the birds over Winter? A simple tube type heater with a thermostat works great, I have one in my garage train room and it easily keeps the minimum temp above 15 degrees.

Archived