Analogue to DCC

Guest Chrissaf

Yes you can convert to DCC by changing your control.er and fitting decoders to all of your locos, but you should check that the capacitor in your track power connector is removed and if you have points that points clips are installed.

Rob

Actually, it should be DCC not CDC or FCC.

As well as changing the controller to a digital one and fitting DCC decoders to the locos. You also need to change (or modify) the track power connectors to DCC friendly ones.

More information regarding the differences between analogue and digital is contained in my "Getting Started with Track Expansion Packs" PDF document that is downloadable from the post with the same name located at the top of the 'General Discussion' sub-forum.

EDIT: Also you need to fit the R8232 clips to Hornby points that Rob mentioned above in his post that appeared whilst I was busy typing mine.

Topic title edited to "Analogue to DCC" and post moved to the DCC sub-forum.

Hi All,

Please can a analog system be changed to digital by changing the control box to a digital controler and useing digital engines ? What else do I have to change,

thanks from someone new to this hobby.

Its all explained in the PDF document I directed you to in my earlier reply.

Not ALL digital locos have a decoder fitted in them fitted in the factory. Most Hornby locos are "DCC Ready" this means that the loco is a digital loco that is "Ready" to have a DCC decoder fitted to it. Note, that a loco that is "DCC Ready" is technically an Analogue loco and not a fully functioning Digital one. It doesn't become a functional Digital one until the decoder is fitted.

Only locos that have "Decoder Fitted" written on the box actually have a decoder already in them. This usually makes them more expensive.

Then of course, there are your existing analogue locos that will need to be upgraded to have a DCC decoder fitted. Where an existing Analogue loco is not "DCC Ready" then a DCC decoder can usually still be fitted, but the wiring inside the loco needs to be modified to accept it.

Thanks kind sir but do I have to fit dcc  decoders to the engines if I only run digital trains 

thanks.

Decoders are what make them into digital trains. Some are labelled DCC Ready, which means you have to fit your own decoders and some are DCC Fitted, which means they are ready to run on DCC. I know that is a bit confusing but that is how the manufacturers have decided to lable them.

Rob

Thank you for your patience, it is now becoming clear but I am 75 years old and do not understand all this but it is becoming a lot clearer now thanks to the help you are giving me, I don't think I am compede to do this myself so I am going to have to find someone in the Leicester area to come and help me with it as I don't want to burn out any engines,

i am willing to pay them well for there time any suggestions would help me

Thanks again.

Are there any model train clubs in your area (perhaps a search on Google will find them). I have visited a couple of my local clubs (purely as a guest....i.e not a member). I have found them extremely keen to share their knowledge and help out where they can. I think, in general, that it is the nature of the type of people who join clubs to be as helpful to others as they can.

Archived