DCC read error with R8249 and Lenz controller

MartByTheSea

Hi,

I'm stuck and could do with some advice.  My son is interested so we've got my old trains out of the loft and we are having fun but we have plenty of issues.   I have a Lenz LZV100/LH90 control system which I was experimenting with when everything went into the loft, 10-12 years ago.  I had 5 trains running with DCC at that time, and four of them still work but one has mysteriously stopped working.  My son was given grandads Flying scotsman which he wants to convert to DCC so I though I'd purchase some more DCC chips, and picked up three R8249 chips.

So far I have had no luck with these new chips, I replaced the Chip on the loco's that had stopped working and it still did not work, so maybe the problem is something other than the chip although it runs fine on analoge. 

Nexst I replaced the chip in one of my few DCC enabled loco's that is working with a Lenz1025A chip, but with the R8249 Chip I get an error.  err-02 on the Lenz, which basically means that the controller does not see the chip (no connection).  So I double check everything, and prove that my programming track is working by reading and updating a chip in a different loco.   I prove that the loco is working with the Lenz1025A chip but I get the error from the R8249.   

I tested the loco with the R8249 on the main line and using loco address 3 I can control the loco, so the chip is connected and is actually working but I can't program it (to change the address for example).   Potentially there is a probelm with the R8249 but since it runs on the mainline I'm thinking this is unlikely. (I have already cut off the DCC pin's from the other two Hornby chips I purchased whilst trying to get the other loco working so I can only test one Hornby Chip in this loco).

I wondered if there is a compatibility issue as my Lenz is 10+ years old, but I can't find any reference to any issues.  I seem to have version 3.1 of the LH90 and v3.5 of the LZV100.

I'm not really sure what to do next, any suggestions welcome.

Merry Xmas, Martin.

My online research, indicates that firmware upgrades to the LZV100/LH90 can only be done by Lenz or their support agents and not by the user (unlike the Hornby eLink and Elite).

• 3 weeks later...

I am a big fan of the Lenz system and although their products may seem a little dear, they are normally 100% reliable, plus you are paying for some backup when they gone wrong. Uehlenbrock and Zimo, to name a few are also quality when it comes to DCC.

You may want to have a word with Chris at A&H Models at Brackley, regarding your Lenz system and upgrade.

Bill

Archived