Decoder for 9f Evening Star

RailRoo

Hi all

I've managed to fit a decoder and speaker to my 9f and sounds great but was a bit of an ordeal with limited space. The speaker is in the tender (loco drive) and the decoder (hornby king class R8109) is tight foward of the motor and gearbox. I had to relcate the 8 pin DCC socket from its mount and in hindsight should have just hardwired the decoder and totally removed it. At first the loco was slow at top speed and note that cv5 top voltage is not adjustable so am wondering if I have fitted not suitable decoder. I can see there are different ones for A1 and Tornado class so does any one know  if these are more suite to 9f?

Thanks in advance

There are 'proper' sound decoders for both the regular and Crosti 9f's on (I think) the Loksound site. Just be advised these are high-quality, not TTS decoders, and will set you back about £100 each.

You say the loco was slow - well, the 9F is a freight loco, not intended for express use, although it did cope quite well in that function.

If you mean slow to start after 'dialling' the speed, it will be - the decoder has to cycle through sound effects before the wheels move, and it won't take off like a startled cat, it will accelerate (and decelerate) slowly.

You don't say what controller you are using, so be advised, if the Select, this is a basic unit, and you will not be able to adjust many CV's with it.

Thanks all for your advice .... Im running MRC Prodigy Advance DDC which I think is also called Gaugemaster (think) and am very happy with it but prefer to use elink and railmaster to program CVs on a dedicated track. The speed of my 9f is OK now im used to it and comming from old DC is more in keeping with its scale speed. On another issue......CV29? ........................why is it that sometimes after crossing a point or turmout it will go flat out in opposite direction .......is that the CV29 issue? (im hearing something to do with DC setting) have seached the forum and cant find it

Agree with Rob it is DC Runaway and can be fixed by turning off DC Running by subtracting 4 from the current value of CV29.

But this is curing the symptom not the disease. That will be that you are getting a momentary short crossing the point and is most undesirable in DCC.  Check out the back-to-back measurement on all wheelsets for a start.  Also consider fitting bus terminators to eliminate the voltage spikes which can happen with shorts.

Archived