DCC Orient Express help

Antiguaman

My son got the DCC fitted Orient Express collectors set for christmas to add to his existing DCC layout

All appears to be working fine however carriages light up and train runs fine

However i'm just wondering if I'm missing something, and

looking for some guidance / advice

Apologies for using the incorrect terminology not really up on Model Railway speak

The connection between the the Engine, and the tender looks a little unusual compared to the other trains he has

The

connection is by way of a hole in the engine going over a rod on the tender to couple the two together

However also on the engine there appears to be to small copper strips which just touch the connector on the tender

Just wondering what these

are for (if anything) and whether anything is achieveable with them in place or if I have connected the engine and tender correctly

Thanks in advance

[reply]Antiguaman said:
...The connection is by way of a hole in the engine going over a rod on the tender to couple the two together

However also on the engine there appears to be to small copper strips which just touch the connector on the

tender

Just wondering what these are for (if anything) and whether anything is achieveable with them in place or if I have connected the engine and tender correctly...

Hi
The tender picks up current and passes it to the loco by way of these

strips. The arrangement is such that current from each rail is kept apart although you can sometimes get a short if the brass strips get bent.

The loco also picks up current and this double system with the loco drive wheels and tender wheels all collecting

current helps make for steady slow running especially on dirty track and across points.
Rob

Many thanks Rob for the reply

Everything appears to be running fine, and no shorts that I;ve noticed,

and the carriages themselve draw their own current directly from the track to illuminate the table lamps

Just wasnt sure if the strips between the Engine and tender served some other purpose, or allowed for the connection of sound / steam or something

I wasnt aware of

Thanks again, great set by the way (despite the cost)

Archived