DCC Points (again)

HooliganHedgehog

I am considering revamping/extending my layout.  I currently use DCC Concept slow action points but am considering some surface mounted motors using R8247 Decoders for the new section.  Currently, with the DCC Concept motors I have the ability to change points via my Elite Controller, my Lap Top and by manual switches.  Is it possible to add a manual switch when using the Hornby Decoders?  Thanks. 

Can I ask you why R8247s? I'm sure Hornby would agree with me that these are out-of-date compared with other accessory decoders on the market, some of which have terminals to which switches can be connected to operate the points the way you want.

Ray

Yes it can be done, but does require a significant amount of additional componentry. Forum member RAF96 (Rob) has such a system. You can see his wiring diagram on this link below:

http://myweb.cytanet.com.cy/honnor/wiring-diagrams.html

In essence, you have to isolate the pulse output of the R8247 Accessory Decoder from the rest of the point wiring, else you risk damaging the decoder when firing the solenoid point motors manually.

Basically in Rob's wiring diagram. The output of the R8247 operates one of two relays (one relay per point direction). The contacts of the relay operate the points via an external separate power supply and CDU. The relay contacts are wired in parallel to manual switches. In Rob's wiring design he is using a rotary selection switch plus push button switches, but this could just as easily be replaced by a number of toggle (centre off non locking) switches instead.

The only issue is that any manually changed points will not be reflected back into the screen track plan display IF you were using RailMaster. Not an issue if NOT using RM. Added this comment for any RM using forum readers.

You should note however (if you have not yet sourced the R8247's) there are other brand Accessory Decoders for Solenoid point motors that have manual switch input capabilities exactly like the DCC Concepts slow action point motors. At least one of these alternative decoders with dual DCC / DC switching capability are made by DCC Concept (the same brand as you are already using, just a different product in their range). Using these would be a lot cheaper and easier than buying R8247s PLUS additional relays and sourcing a CDU powered by a separate external PSU. The decoders with the manual switch inputs utilise the internal CDU and DCC power supply of the DCC part of the product.

./media/tinymce_upload/8b58e95e5bd70ce2a1bfc00b2d0ad6e3.jpg

Thanks for your advice guys.   You have confirmed my suspicions that it is probably not worth the effort.  I rather liked the prospect of not having to grovel around under the layout fixing the motors and threading wires up through the base to operate the points ....     The manual switches would for the most part be for my youngest Grandson so he could have a job switching the points occassionally.  But you are right Fishmanoz,  the DCC Concept points work well for me, they can be manually switched and operate signals all at once, so I will probably stick with them.

To be honest St1ngr4y  having thought about surface mounted points I reasoned it would be easier just to go with Hornby right through RM, Elite, Decoder and Points. 

Thanks again guys.

I use the DCC Concepts  range with Hornby surface mounted motors so that I can now switch with Elite, Railmaster, Select Walkabout or manual switches in a mimic panel. By mounting the mimic panel via a hinge at the top edge I was able to then mount the decoder on the back. The mimic panel lifts up and I then have the decoder facing me - avoiding having to crawl under the baseboard. Therefore, with a surface mounted point, a hinged mimic panel and a DCC Concepts decoder I have achieved what I think you are aiming for. I will see if I get a chance to take a photo or two tomorrow!

Archived