confusion with sound decoders

frazzle

I am thinking about buying the 'Schools' model and id like to try the one with sound as ive not yet had any like that. I also however like to program CV5 to limit the top speeds of my locos so that i get them roughly scaled with each other. What CVs are

programmable from the decoder that offers sound? Or is the sound chip totally independant of the decoder?
I only normally buy DCC Ready and then fit a Saphire decoder as the standard Hornby one wont allow you to program CV5.

Can anyon explain please?

Paul

The sound decoders tend to be 'top of the range' for obvious reasons. So for example with the Schools class model with sound decoder fitted ( and speaker) you can alter CV5 if wish. Normally the sound functions are mapped to the operation of the loco -

brakes, slowing down shunting etc This is normally done for you when you purchase the model so you don't have to worry about this. So, there is only one chip - the sound decoder.

Thanks Steve, that was the

answer i was hoping for :)

Paul

Poliss

Well remembered ^^. Myself and the wife have heavily got the

train/model making bug so i will be upgrading the controller. Not 100% sure which one yet, but definately one where i can alter all of the CVs

Paul

Archived