DCC Powerbus - Couple of questions

Drpepper

Now I've got my 8 x 4 layout sorted and working with point clips it's time to pin it down and run the powerbus. I've got the wiring diagram sorted and all the bits on the way but have a couple of questions:-

1). I'm planning on putting in the main

bus and track drops but have also read that it's advisable to connect the points to the powerbus also to get round the low speed stalling issues on insulfrog points, this is another large amount of effort so is it worth it, even where electroclips are fitted,

does it make that much difference?

2). Is there any reason I need to take the electroclips out once the powerbus is all connected up, again it's a deal of effort to do and I'd do it at some point for aesthetic reasons but is there an immediate need

to avoid shorts, over powering or anything?

Appreciate your advice.

James.

Hi James

1 - you will always have a dead spot due to the insulated frog. Nothing you can do about that unless you replace the points with electrofrog ones. I see no benefit in directly wiring the points over using clips, other than aesthetics. Most

locos with multiple wheel pickups will run dead slow over points without stalling.

2 - no you don't need to remove them.

Poliss,

Cheers, I'm ok with that bit and there will be droppers beyond each

point, at some point I will likely take the clips out but what I was looking to verify was whether I 'needed' to for any reason which it seems there isn't.

Archived