Track length question for newbie

ianfoster

Hi all,

I'm completely new to Scalextric so would appreciate some advice.

I purchased a Scalextric Mini Challenge set (https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/mini-challenge.html).  However, I found the wired controllers to be a pain for the children, so decided to also purchase the ARC AIR Powerbase upgrade kit (https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/scalextric-arc-air.html)

The ARC AIR powerbase track section is 350mm (which I believe is a standard straight) and the base it is replacing is an extra long straight at 584mm.  I see that I can purchase 3 x short straight @ 78mm each to make up the difference.  However, the current base has the starter grid on it, and the ARC AIR powerbase only has pit stops, so I'm trying to see how I can make up the difference between 584mm and 350mm, but retain a starter grid.  I see the starter grid section is 175mm, but can't figure out what else to add to fill in the gap.

Appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks

Ian

HI

My thoughts are......

There are 2 long straights in that set and you are replacing 1 of them with the ARC AIR powerbase/track.

Replace the other long straight as well - If you use the ARC with a tablet/phone then the lap counter is not needed..

Add 1 x C7018 1/2 straight track (with start grid) to the side with the ARC Air powerbase and match with replacement track on the other side.

So the other side would have a C8205 straight (to match the powerbase track) + 1 x 1/2 straight to match the C7018).

(Note: The C7018 tend to be sold in pairs so you could use that opposite if you were not bothered about having start grids on the other side of the track as well)

You can of course make the straight sections as long as you like and could include both of the long straights opposite each other, just dont connect any power to the original power base.

Hope that makes sense .......

Enjoy

There is a half straight piece with a starter grid availavle, mostly online.. you have to be careful though because many are designed as Sport <-> Classic adapters.

You are right in that the "super long stright" is the same as a standard plus 3X78mm. Th 3X78mm is also the same size as the "elevated crossover" pieces.

As barryhi33 said though, the set has 2 super long straights. I have removed the lap counters on this straight easily: remove the screws and rock the lap counter parts back and forth until the break from the rails. Double check not flaring it ins the slot (you may have to file it downa bit) and you are done!

Another option: Paint them on yourself. :-)

Archived