Track barriers ?

Rogan

Hi i am also new to the world of scalectric and I have the super international GT track and have just purchased the arc one. I'm looking at purchasing more tracks second hand to build up my collection. Can you buy any track barriers or are there ones for vintage only ?

I've also been reading that you shouldn't use the track on carpet? Im thinking of boarding out my loft and creating a kind of landscape for the track to run on can anyone advice me on what's best for the houses/grass/ people as ive seen they can be really pricey.

Kind regards

I've been looking at barriers and was also having trouble finding some.  I'm going to take a try at building my own.  If you have a pinterest account do a search for "slot car barriers" and there's some good pictures on how to build different types.

You have several options.

You have to decide if you will mount the "barriers" (I am assuming you mean Aramco guardrail type barriers) directly to the track or if you want to use borders aka run offs as well.

The latest offering is guardrails and borders can be found here:

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/track/curves-borders.html

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/track/straights-straight-borders.html

If you want them directly on the track:

You can also get vintage guardrails that are less then a half straight in length or longer, white ones that are only one thin piece of plastic. Both connect to each other in their own styles.

Scalextric Spain (SCX) makes Aramco style guardrails that fit perfectly that are a full standard length long and connect to each other.  I use these a lot because I race with kids on a table and I need the extra protection. :-) It also speeds up build time. They also make borers/run offs that fit perfectly and you can attach the guardrails on the outside of these. They all fit to UK Scalextric track fine. (same lengths and radii)

You can also use Ninco guardrails but Ninco track is a little thicker so if the track is not directly on the ground the guardrails slide a little. Ninco also makes fencing and stone guardrails.

If you can find it get a Scalextric C8212. The clips can be used on the track or on SCX borders. You can use the silver Aramco style barriers of any border and barrier set and you can even adjust if the guardrails is directly on the track, 5mm or 10 mm away from the track (allowing for some fishtailing)

When racing with kids I tend to start with guardrails on the track, then move them out and eventually switch to a border/barrier combo.

I've been looking at barriers and was also having trouble finding some.  I'm going to take a try at building my own.  If you have a pinterest account do a search for "slot car barriers" and there's some good pictures on how to build different types.

Yeah ive seen some online while doing some research and saw some really good ideas.

I came across this which is prety good

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70094&page=1

ive also decided i wanted to make my own and im lucky enough to work in a car plant and found some clips that i could manipulate to help fix to the track.

Ive decided to use double glazing window plastins as the track edges see attaced pictures

/media/tinymce_upload/3c6b57c37858c408e6fe157121a45b5e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/86d3eb0ecbd1c39628250bc5e191ea2c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/3406d57bb3aa68ba5f21746c07093fe8.jpg

Let me know your thoughts and if any one needsany clips to do the same let me know !

Yeah ive seen some online while doing some research and saw some really good ideas.

I came across this which is prety good

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70094&page=1

ive also decided i wanted to make my own and im lucky enough to work in a car plant and found some clips that i could manipulate to help fix to the track.

Ive decided to use double glazing window plastins as the track edges see attaced pictures

/media/tinymce_upload/3c6b57c37858c408e6fe157121a45b5e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/86d3eb0ecbd1c39628250bc5e191ea2c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/3406d57bb3aa68ba5f21746c07093fe8.jpg

Let me know your thoughts and if any one needsany clips to do the same let me know !

I used the scalextric runoffs & barriers (armco guard rails) and the took some 1/4" wire screening and cut out where the vertical supports are on the guard rails. I then used a hot glue gun and attached the fencing as shown below.

The 3" height is performing well and keeps the cars from leaving the track.

/media/tinymce_upload/edf32d9daa39d0dd86094ef32a159620.jpg

I added the small plastic fence posts for a more realistic look. These are banked turns so I also added 1/2" copper piping as supports under the run offs sections to sturdy them and also hot glued the tabs that hold them to the track. Between the run-offs being glued to the track and the frencing being glued to the guard rails it tightens up the whole section of track and it can be picked up as a single section.

And yes the indian is taking on the tank but he does have armor peircing arrows.

They look really good.What's the construction technique?

Cut the foam into 35mm high lengths lay out some barrier tape stick the foam to the bottom edge of the tape and fold over the remaining tape cut at corners to make it neater. The tape is 50mm. Making the curves ones are slightly harder you have to bend while applying the tape and maybe a hot air gun for better adhesion which i will be trying this weekend haha this is becoming an obsession not a part hobby!

Archived