Gadwell tts dead

perfectionist

The short circuit may have corrupted the decoder configuration. Put the loco on the eLink programming track and try reading the CVs. Look at CV1 to see what DCC Address it shows. If it is not showing the address you expect, then try resetting the decoder to factory default [write 8 to CV8], then reconfigure the address you require before trying it again on the main track. If you can't read any CVs or you are not getting the values you expect, then the decoder may have been permanently damaged by the high spike voltages generated by the short.

The adverse affect of 'short circuits' on DCC decoders can be mitigated if you fit a 'Snubber' to your DCC power distribution.

The linked page above also explains the theory of short circuits and their potential effect on decoders. Not everybody will necessarily be affected by short circuits, many are, but some are not. It all depends on the specifics of one's layout and wiring.

That fix infers that the short circuit corrupted the DCC address in the decoder as I suggested in my earlier reply. Still worthwhile considering the fitting of a 'snubber' though, to offer some future protection against it happening again.

If it happens again, check if it has reverted to address 03.  I suspect that was all that was wrong and you fixed it with your reprogramming of the address, nothing to do with removing and reentering the loco in your list. 

WD, now we’ve solved the OP’s problem, I think you will find yours is quite different and likely to be the wheel back-to-backs being out. 

Archived