Strange issue with direction lights only working after decoder reset

Hi,

posted this in railmaster section rather than DCC as i think this might be more of railmaster issue.

overview:

loco - bachmann class 20

decoder - soundtraxx economi Uk diesel sound

Dcc controller - railmaster.

issue - direction lights  on f0 only work on loco id 3 after full decoder reset, ie cv8 set to 8. If I then change the loco id to something else ie 20. The lights on f0 stop functioning, all other light, sound and movement functions work ok.if I then change the loco id back to 3, the direction lights still do not function? The only way I can get the direction lights to work again is the reset the decoder back to id 3, by using Cv8

anyone have any ideas what may be going on as this has me completly stumped?

thanks in advance 

mind the gap.

This would be very bizarre if this was happening, but maybe when you re-address the loco away from ID3, CV29 is being changed too (it shouldn't, but it might be). To check, go through the motions you have described to re-address the loco that results in 'directional lights' not working. Then check the value of CV29, if it is not 6 (it may have been set to 0 or possibly some other value), change it to 6 and test again. Then report back what you found the CV29 value to be and whether my suspicion was correct or not. Note that my suggestion of 6 is normally considered to be a factory default value (i.e set to this value when writing 8 to CV8 - this fits in with what you are reporting in your question description). To understand more about CV29 and what it does see this website.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

EDIT: It might be worthwhile to read CV29 after a CV8 reset and before you re-address the loco ID so that you can compare the before and after value of CV29, that would prove conclusively whether changing the loco ID is affecting the CV29 value.

If the value of CV29 is 6 and remains 6 after being re-addressed away from ID3, then I am stumped too.

Thank Chris and rob,

with your help I have been able to get the direction lights working with an id other than 3, with the settings of CV29 being the culprit as both of you suggested.

when reseting using cv8, CV29 is changed to 2, in fact is seems that changing any cv, eg id, acceleration, and deceleration cv29 changes as well. Setting cv26 to 6 allows the direction lights to function correctly.

thankyou both very much for your help

mind the gap

How very strange.....a CV value of 2 should in theory be just as good as a value of 6 for working directional lighting. However, that said.....you have at least got a working solution and you will know what to look for if you get another Soundtraxx decoder in the future.....or in fact any decoder brand that has a directional lighting issue.

EDIT: I seem to have a vague recollection that a previous post highlighted that RailMaster had a habit for some decoder brands of changing the value of CV29, if RM was not used to read all decoder CV values first.

In other words, if the 'green tick' was used first, to read the CVs before changing anything, the original value of CV29 was retained. This autonomous unrequested changing of CV29 by RM shouldn't happen and should be considered as a bug.

Rob, if you are reading this, do you recall this RM CV29 issue in a previous post too?

Further EDIT:

I can't find the original, but I did find this post from June 2014. Therefore this CV29 changing issue has been around for a long time. It does seem to be decoder brand specific though. In the post below, it talks about CV29 being changed to a zero value, CV29 set as 0 would potentially have an impact on directional lighting not working.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/6886/?p=1

My memory is similar but I thought it a lot more recent than 2014.

And just to explain a little more for people who are wondering about why, directional lights only work when speed steps are set to 128 and that is done in CV29 as per the 2mm org link given by Chris above.

Archived