Adding a Decoder to R9287 Thomas

Paul_Rimmer

A bit of help please. With my limited soldering and electronic skills, I'm embarking on fitting a decoder to a Hornby Thomas loco and trying to follow the instructions given on the website under Decoder Installation Guides for the R351 Thomas. It seems fairly straightforward until I take the top of the loco and find that the arrangement is not quite as shown in the picture in that the black capacitors are too close to the orange one to follow the method - see my attachment. 

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that the capacitors are not necessary so can I just cut out the black ones? If not, do I just detach the black capacitors and solder them back on further away from the orange one?

/media/tinymce_upload/73bbeae7bf98ac796df48e873e2fb3a4.jpg

Strip it back until you have a bare motor and bare pickup tags. Throw the bits you remove in the bin.

Then wire decoder wires red and black to the track pickups and orange and grey to the motor.

The wiring clour code is on the same page as you gotmthe conversion info from.

Rob

For convenience you may wish to fit a decoder socket as its the same amount of soldering work as hard wiring a decoder and you dont need to cut the decoder plug off so making any future work so much easier.

You can easily source the socket. X9084 is typical. You can attach it to the loco after soldering the wires on using a double sided sticky pad.

The motor wires go to pins 1 (marked) and 5 and the pickup wires to the other two corners (pins 4 & 8)

Rob

Just for future reference, the black components are inductors not capacitors, and they still go in the bin.  Easy to tell the difference - capacitors go across the motor contacts, inductors in series between one motor connection and one side of the pickups.

• 2 months later...

Archived