Double Heading Help

Bunsen

I am trying to successfully double head two locos.I do not have two identical locos so are trying to double head a class 24 and class 25.I have set acceleartion and deceleration speeds to be the same but when double heading although they pair up in a consist

one loco isalways very slightly faster or slower than the other leading to problems of pulling/pushing.I am using Hornby Elite,and have tried various locos.
Do the locos have to be identical? i.e motors /gearing/same brand
Do the locos have to have the

same chip in?
If not is this can be altered in the CV's /speed steps and if so how do I do this?
Does anyone know of different types oflocos that pair up successfully?

Any help appreciated

<div class="previousPost">poliss said:

What decoders are you using?</div>
I am using mainly standard Hornby four function decoders,some have the earlier R8215 or the later R 8249 in all my Hornby locos. Some locos are DCC fitted so I presume standard decoders.

I have just managed to check the speed steps are the same (set to 128) and all have same accel/decel speeds but still with no success to get them to accelerate &quot;together&quot; at the same
speed although both controlled by the same consist number.have just tried class 20 with class 24 ,20 with 25,and class 37 with each in turn but no success.All same manufacturer.
thanks for any help.

I am using Hornby Locos that are either dcc fitted or have either the standard R8215 or the later R 8249 four function decoder.My other brand of locos are similar as either been DCC fitted or having a standard 3 function decoder (b/mann 36-553).
I have

managed to check the speed steps to ensure they are set the same (now all 128).I have checked accel/decel speeds are set the same.Still having no sucess .I am currently trying to double head class 20, 24,25,and 37 but cannot get any combination pair to accelerate

off at the same speed .They all consist as they should and move off and stop together but just not at the same speed.
Any help apprecaited.

You can't speed match with the standard Hornby decoders. You may be able to do some speed matching with the others, although it seems CV6 isn't supported with them.
Here's a tutorial for speed matching. http://home.comcast.net/~mjmx/speed_matching.htm

A

guide to what each CV does. Note that you need to change CVs 2,6 and 5 for proper speed matching. http://www.loystoys.com/info/configuration-variables.html

Archived