First time user , how much track can i run with 1 power pack ?

Graeme Steel

How long is a piece of string?

Jokng aside, the limiting factor to how much track can be laid down is primarily the condition of the track, the condition of the cars (and what type of motors they have) and the pwoer pack you have.

If your track has been put away a long time likely it is slightly rusty and depending onthe type (Classic or Sport) you may need to attend to the connectors to ensure the hightest degree of connectivity.

Most racers swear by INox M3 but that is hard to get in Europe. Many use Balistol in Europe and in the US there are all kinds of other cleaners out there.

Here are more tips on track maintenance.

If your cars have not run in a while they will need servicing.

FInally, test your power pack on a simple oval first to ensure it is working.

You can usually go up to 20 meters without additional power if everything is tip top and up to 30 with jumper cables.

After that it is a case of extending and testing...

The older Sport powerbase supported 2 power packs, one for each lane and is an easy solution readily available on auction sites and swap meets...

Thank you so much , i have an old box of scaletric (4) f1 superteams , + 1 older set ( no box ) and 1 unopened gt racers set. so hopefully will get the 3 tracks running from 1 power pack , how do i if i wish run 1 lane from 1 pack and other lane from another power pack ?

i have just converted my loft so hoping once i have it set up it will be up for a while .

Thank you so much , i have an old box of scaletric (4) f1 superteams , + 1 older set ( no box ) and 1 unopened gt racers set. so hopefully will get the 3 tracks running from 1 power pack , how do i if i wish run 1 lane from 1 pack and other lane from another power pack ?

i have just converted my loft so hoping once i have it set up it will be up for a while .

Andy pretty much covered you power question. There are some old type powerbases that can use either one or two power supplies. There is a switch on them to go from one supply shared over two lanes to one supply to each lane.

One example on ebay is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCALEXTRIC-SPORT-2-CAR-POWERBASE-C8217-INCLUDES-CONTROLLERS-POWER-SUPPLY/302609900034? If you look closely at the top of the powerbase you can see the switch for either one supply or two supplies. Also that powerbase is for Sport track not the older classic track.

If you want to connect old classic to newer sport some lap counters come as adapters The link below shows a new lapcounter/convertor. If buying secondhand make sure it is identical with the two track pieces. There are versions of the lap counter that do not convert.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scalextric-C8215-Lap-Counter-Timer-1-32-for-Full-Size-Set-BRAND-NEW-BOXED/362174678663? 

Andy pretty much covered you power question. There are some old type powerbases that can use either one or two power supplies. There is a switch on them to go from one supply shared over two lanes to one supply to each lane.

One example on ebay is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCALEXTRIC-SPORT-2-CAR-POWERBASE-C8217-INCLUDES-CONTROLLERS-POWER-SUPPLY/302609900034? If you look closely at the top of the powerbase you can see the switch for either one supply or two supplies. Also that powerbase is for Sport track not the older classic track.

If you want to connect old classic to newer sport some lap counters come as adapters The link below shows a new lapcounter/convertor. If buying secondhand make sure it is identical with the two track pieces. There are versions of the lap counter that do not convert.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scalextric-C8215-Lap-Counter-Timer-1-32-for-Full-Size-Set-BRAND-NEW-BOXED/362174678663? 

I would not recommend sandpaper! If there is any protection on the rails you will remove it and you will likely scuff the track making it ugly.

Also do NOT use steel wool as the filalments get everwhere and are nearly impossible to clean...

See the track maintenance link I provided early and do a google search on "cleaning Scalextric track".

Archived