Choice of DCC starter set

AndyHead78

Hi All,

I have now managed to get most of my layout in place but I want to go DCC before finishing it. I think the most cost effective way to start would be to get a starter set as they have the controller with a/some DCC fitted loco(s). I already have a few other locos that I would eventually convert to DCC. So my question is this: which starter set would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.

In Hornby DCC terms, there are no starter sets using the Elite controller. Hornby only do DCC starter sets with either Select or RailMaster / eLink. Therefore the choice is really more about what control system do you want, rather than what rolling stock is in the set.

Select

Pros - simple to operate, has knobs and buttons.

Cons - Limited functionality, cannot read and write many CVs (i.e can't change CV29 or Volume on TTS sound models). Limited support for DCC addressing ranges.

RailMaster & eLink

Pros - Full feature rich support for DCC, read and write the full range of CVs, point & click point control, semi automation of layout using 'programs'. Good RailMaster technical support via this forum and from HRMS (ability to log in to your PC remotely to fix issues).

Cons - No support yet for 'Loco Detection' to make program automation more effective. Requires a Windows PC as the user interface (no knobs and buttons on the controller). Being a software product, a little more onerous to set up for people who are not computer literate.

Beat me to it, and with a more comprehensive answer than I would have managed!

I have the Western Master with the raillink.  The main downside of that for me, is my creakingly old laptop.  If I want to just turn up and play, I have a cheap DCC controller that I just substitute in for manual control.

The only thing I would add, is there are some bargain deals out there for the Somerset Belle and Western Master, and the now discontinued Mixed Freight which has a couple of engines and a Select.  Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy the wonders of DCC.

While the sets with Select are usually cheaper, likely you will soon want to upgrade as you go further so somewhat false economy.

If you can lay your hands on one somewhere, I’d suggest the Majestic set.  Two locos, RM and eLink, track, rolling stock etc.

Archived