Just starting out

Phil the newbie

Hi, 

I’m really new to model trains. The last time I touched a model train I was 8. It’s safe to say things have changed. 

My dear wife has bought me a nice starter set. The western messenge, with which I am very pleased. However I know I will be expanding, as i’ve converted my loft/attic to accommodate. 

If I start out building a track to the layout I want will I be able to use all the track, I know the engine would need converting if I wanted to use it, to which I will just by another. But can the track be used for digital trains. Or is the special adopters for it. 

This may seem like a silly question, but just wanted to double check. 

Many thanks

There is no difference between DCC and analogue (dc) track except for the power connectors and power tracks.  The dc ones have an interference suppression capacitor in them which needs to be removed for use on DCC, though many (most?) people with larger layouts just solder power feeds direct to the rails as this is the most reliable method.  Larger layouts usually benefit from many power feeds rather than just one, which you may want in the future.

Hornby points also have to have R8232 point clips fitted when used on DCC. Ordering stock code R8232 gives a pack of 20 clips, 2 clips per point.

However, the R8232 point clips can be dispensed with if you adopt the multiple power feed approach outlined by Rog above. In essence, he is describing a DCC Bus power distribution system.

Hi Phil, Welcome to the Forum and a return to the Hobby

Let us know how you get on and please don't hesitate to ask questions, no matter how basic you think they may be.  There a lot of very knowledgeable members on here.

In terms of conversion to DCC, most trains can be easily converted.  Some require some basic soldering to attach the Decoder (and I imagine your Messenger is one of those).

Some come DCC ready, which means that there is a socket into which a Decoder can simply be plugged.

The last category is DCC fitted, which means the train is ready to use on a Digital Layout.

You will then need a Controller.  There are many options available, from many manufacturers.  The Hornby ones are the Select which is quite basic but a reasonable starting point.  The other Hornby controller is the Elite.  This is more expensive than the Select but is a lot more capable and can be used in conjunction with Hornby's RailMaster software (currently available for a very reduced sale price of £5 from Hattons) to enable you to have a computer run your layout.  The third digital option from Hornby is the elink.  This comes with a copy of RailMaster but only gives the option of computer control.

A word of advice - find a cheaper hobby! 😛

This one gets very expensive, because of the syndrome known as - Oh, I must have one of those, and if I get that, I need that to go with it - - -

and before you know it, you're taking out a second mortgage to get that last bit to finish off your - oh, and I need one of those too - - - -

😎

Thanks guys. 

This is the master plan. Finish base board, put track in the plan I have in my little ity bitty brain. Then decide weather to go straight for dcc or go old school. If it wasn’t for being able to run a couple of trains at the same time, I’d go dc. but I must admit have more running does sound nice.

It is alright to mix brands of track, isn’t it ? Peco and Hornby. Got a bit excited on eBay

Be careful about PECO part numbers only, Code 100 Peco track is compatible with Hornby track. PECO also do Code 75 and Code 83 track and these won't be compatible with Hornby track which is all Code 100.

Want to understand more about the Code numbers and PECO track and what their Stock code part numbers mean, then read this previous post:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/another-b2b-question/?p=1/#post-202055

Be careful about PECO part numbers only, Code 100 Peco track is compatible with Hornby track. PECO also do Code 75 and Code 83 track and these won't be compatible with Hornby track which is all Code 100.

Want to understand more about the Code numbers and PECO track and what their Stock code part numbers mean, then read this previous post:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/another-b2b-question/?p=1/#post-202055

Thank you Chris

Archived