Elite Version 1

Outoftalent

Hi  Folks, I have just purchased a secondhand Elite controller (V1.0 displayed on power up) As stated in the instructions the address displayed is number 003. I have run my current 003 progd train and all is good. 

I have just tried to programme my points motors (hornby) as per the instruction maual but am having no luck. The red light flashes to indicate it is programming but once the process is complete I am not able to control my points. I have disconected my other acc decoders and just left one with power.

Could it be the Firmware version that is causing the problem. I was previously using a select, purchased new arond 18 months ago?

Thanks in advace,

ed

When the Elite powers up, does it briefly show the word 'Classic' or 'Standard' in the LCD display?

also

Are you connecting your Accessory Decoders to the Elite 'Prog A&B' output terminals when you are trying to reconfigure them?

Unlike the Select, you have to use the 'Prog A&B' terminals when programming Hornby Accessory Decoders and loco decoders.

The answer to the first question is important and significant as I assume you originally programmed your points using a Select.

If it starts up in 'Classic' mode then change it to 'Standard' mode and try testing again using the original DCC addresses you gave them i.e in the 61 to 99 range.

If it starts up in 'Standard' mode then change it to 'Classic' mode and try testing it again using the original DCC addresses you gave them i.e in the 61 to 99 range.

I can't remember which of the two Elite operating modes should be used when upgrading from a Select. Changing the Elite operating modes (How To) is in the Elite manual. Get them working first on their original configured addresses then worry about changing them afterwards.

I would also recommend that you upgrade the Elite to the current version 1.44 - I believe (but may be wrong) that the Elite firmware also has a bearing on the differences between the Select & Elite point numbering schemes.

How to upgrade the Elite firmware:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/updating-firmware-on-the-elite

Note the post above was written for Elite firmware 1.42, but is the same for 1.44 as well, you just substitute the references to 1.42 with 1.44 when reading it.

I notice in your second post you say your points under the Select started numbering at 62. The Select documentation calls for the numbering to start at 61. If they do indeed start at 62 then that might possibly be an issue when trying to operate them with an Elite, because 62 to 65 is not a valid Group Address range. Group addresses for Accessory Decoder ports are used by the Elite.

If the Elite is on version 1.0 it won't have the choice of classic or standard mode.  These were added in a later firmware update.

Before going any further, it would be best, I think, to update the Elite to the latest firmware.

Just had a look at the pre V1.41 Elite manual. Rog is quite correct. The version 1 firmware did not give an Elite 'Classic' / 'Standard' operating mode option.

If you write 8 to CV8 with the R8247 on the Elite 'Prog A&B' output, then that should revert the R8247 Accessory Decoder back to the 'Factory Default'. The DCC port addresses for the 'Factory Default' is DCC Address 1 to 4 on ports 1 to 4.

If the Elite is on version 1.0 it won't have the choice of classic or standard mode.  These were added in a later firmware update.

Before going any further, it would be best, I think, to update the Elite to the latest firmware.

I agree with Rog

Wow, v1.0, I wonder how that worked back in the day?  Even v1.3 wasn’t much good with v1.4 being a significant improvement.  But within 6 months, it had become v1.41 due to all of the bugs that were in 1.4.  Then the progression to 1.44 has seen further improvement.

Personally, I wouldn’t contemplate trying to operate with an Elite at anything prior to 1.41, upgrading that far should be considered essential.  Then you might as well go to 1.44 and have the latest.

It is fair to say that we have one recorded case on here of an Elite that was working before being upgraded and fatally faulty after.  Again personally I believe this was coincidental not causal.  Electronics can fail at any particular point in time, and Murhpy’s law tells you it will happen at the most inconvenient time.  The inconvenience here was that it led to a heated discussion of the merits or otherwise of upgrading.  The old if it ain’t broke ............ was widely quoted.  For me, anything less than 1.41 is broke and you may as well have the additional features 1.44 provides.  Why would Hornby bother if they didn’t think it would improve things?

Just for clarification. Are you saying that after you updated the Elite firmware from v1 to v1.44 that your original issue has been fixed. That is to say, you can now operate your points with the Elite, albeit on their original Select configured addresses. I'm assuming here that they were not operating before on the v1.0 Elite firmware and that was why you were trying to re-address them, although you didn't specifically state that in your original post.

If that is so, and just to satisfy my curiosity what operating mode (now that the Elite is at revision 1.44) does it start up in.....Classic or Standard?

Archived