DCC fitted loco not responding on DCC layout

David8

Can anyone help or advise me?

I purchased a DCC Fitted P2 Cock O The North Locomotive and have tried to run it on my Hornby DCC Somerset Belle Set layout. My other locomotives work fine but the Cock o The North jerks forward a few centermeters then stops. 

I was adviced to run it on 03 as the default programme number. Im using a Hornby Select controller to for this layout. Please keep in mind this is my first Hornby set and I am new to all this. I love this new P2 Locomotive and need some help getting it going or fixing a problem. 

Thank you all in advance.

David

Welcome David

Try to read the address of this loco and change it to a different number e.g. 5 or whatever you like in the range 0- 59.

Have you changed the address of the 'Belle Jinty and other locos to something other than 3.

If all else fails a reset of the CoN decoder is advised but unfortunately your Select can't do that.

Rob

Welcome David

Try to read the address of this loco and change it to a different number e.g. 5 or whatever you like in the range 0- 59.

Have you changed the address of the 'Belle Jinty and other locos to something other than 3.

If all else fails a reset of the CoN decoder is advised but unfortunately your Select can't do that.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the warm welcome and for the advice. I had tried as you suggested but sadly no luck with changing the programme number. 

I have contacted the person I purchased the P2 Loco from and it has been set at 03 by the previous owner. Often when I place it on the track the Select Controller reads OL. How would I go about resetting the CoN?

At the moment I am a total novice but I hope to change that! haha

Many thanks

David

If it was bought second hand, then it is more likely it is a faulty loco and that is why the original owner passed it on.

The fault symptoms you have described, a jerk in one direction followed by an OL display has come up before on the forum. The cause of which could be a wide range of potential issues from a faulty decoder to intermittent short circuits between wheels and running gear or other dangling loco body (metallic) bits and bobs. It is very difficult to give a precise cause without handling the loco oneself.

PS - OL means 'OverLoad' and usually indicates a short circuit has been detected or at the very least a high current draw.

As stated your Select cannot reset a decoder, which is done by writing value 8 to CV8 on the programming track.

There really should be a simple way to do this as it is a basic operation for DCC modelling to get out of trouble.

In th emeantime have a look at the manual and try a rest of th eSelect.

The other thing is what does your Select show when it starts up ...

e.g. numbers 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 then 30 then 03. We are interested in the first pair of numbers 10-15 as these represent the Select firmware version and define its capability especially working a range of sound functions.

Rob

As stated your Select cannot reset a decoder, which is done by writing value 8 to CV8 on the programming track.

There really should be a simple way to do this as it is a basic operation for DCC modelling to get out of trouble.

In th emeantime have a look at the manual and try a rest of th eSelect.

The other thing is what does your Select show when it starts up ...

e.g. numbers 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 then 30 then 03. We are interested in the first pair of numbers 10-15 as these represent the Select firmware version and define its capability especially working a range of sound functions.

Rob

Thank you. It states 03 when starting up but just jerks and fails to run. 

You missed the point David, the sequence is a number ranging 10 to 15 which is the firmware revision, then 30 which is the hardware state and 03 which is the default loco address. We want to know the number in th erange 10 to 15.

You have to look at the display WHILST you apply the power. The 03 only appears at the end of the displayed number sequence. The first two number digits i.e the 10 or 11 or 12 or 13 etc appear very briefly at the start of the power up sequence. If you have turned it on by throwing the mains wall switch and then walked back to the Select, it is then too late to see the number sequence. It is the very first number that Rob is interested in (not so much the 03), so that we can see what firmware revision your Select has.

EDIT: Rob beat me to it by 6 seconds.

Thank you all so much for a) making me welcome and b) for your great advice and tips. As a result of you wondeful people I have found the problem...

A faulty 8 pin decoder. I replaced it with a Hornby 8 pin decoder and she is running like a dream.

Next step is to replace the motor its loud and dose not like running at less than half speed. 

THANK YOU ALL! 

Not surprised you found the decoder to be faulty, the fact the previous owner said to run it on 03, which is the default address all new decoders come with, was saying to me it couldn’t be changed so was faulty.  For the future, whenever you get something new, or install a new decoder, test it to make sure it is ok on 03 before changing it to something else.  Then 03 is again available for the next new item’s test.

Next, don’t assume the motor is faulty, again my suspicion is that, as the decoder was faulty, the loco hasn’t been used much and may have been sitting around for some time.  A good clean and very light lubrication with a proper model railway oil is called for as a first step, motor bearings and running gear.  Then run it in for 30 minutes in each direction at half speed and see how it goes then.

And you still haven’t told us the numbers at Select start up?

One last thing.  Could you please stop using that blue arrow, it is not a reply button, it just unnecessarily repeats our posts.  Go to the bottom of the page and type your reply in the big box and post it using the green Reply button.

Archived