Digital Newcomer (not newcomer to Scalextric)

Scott Stitchell

Hi all, reasonably new to the forum, and new to Scalextric Digital.

I've recently picked up, second-hand, a C1214, Vodafone F1 set. Ultimately I plan to expand on this to create a layout in either a 17ft by 9ft converted garage, or a 9 by 9 converted garage loft.

A number of questions, if I may:

1 - There are four connection points on the powerbase. I assume if I want to run 3 and 4 car races, the additional two controllers will need to be different colours to those in the set?

2 - From what I can see, there is now an app that can be used to record lap times, etc, vary fuel load, tyre wear, etc. How do I integrate this to C1214? Am I right in thinking I need the ARC Pro powerbase? 

3 - I have a number of older analogue cars, notably a pair of Porsche GT3Rs. Am I right in thinking a can convert these by drilling a sensor hole in the underpans and hard wiring in a chip between the pick ups and the motor?

4 - How does the tyre wear system work? I am guessing that modern magnatraction is achieved using an electromagnet and by varying the power to the electromagent alters the road holding of the car. Is that correct? I can't think of any other way theis could be acheived.

5 - What is the compatability like between Scalextric and other manufacturers, both with regards track and digital cars.

Thanks for reading

Scott

Scott - I think you might squeeze a very nice digital track in either of those two spaces 😀

Some answers to your questions:

1) For the four-car powerbase, you'll need two extra C7002 controllers. Different colours will look nice, but functionally the colour is not important.

2) Yes, the ARC Pro upgrade kit will be a straight replacement for the powerbase in your set. The upgrade kit comes with two wireless controllers and a power supply. You'd need to add more C8438 wireless controllers, as the wired C7002 ones are not compatible. However, your power supply can be used a second unit to power 4-6 cars on ARC Pro. The lane changer, track and cars are all compatible.

3) Yes, you'll need C7005 Retro-fit chips. These will work with either of the two powerbases.

4) The tyre wear simulation in the ARC app is quite simple - after a certain number of laps (usually about five), you are called into the pits to change tyres. You have a few laps to comply or you get a DNF. In some of the PC-based race management software systems for the Scalextric Advanced Power Base (C7042) there is a more complex simulation where the gradual loss of grip is simulated by a miniscule delay in braking points - you release the trigger and power remains for an instant. It's a nice simulation, especially for racers running without magnets. Traction magnets make such detailed simulations a little less interesting. I'm pretty sure that the ARC app is more designed for racers running standard Scalextric cars (ie with magnets), although - who knows - there may be scope to develop the simulations in the app in the future. I like ARC Pro and am excited by its potential and its very accessible price point. The C7042-based systems are still the ultimate in SSD, having been developed by talented enthusiasts for nearly eight years. At the moment, if you want cutting-edge digital simulations, the C7042 plus RCS64 software requires looking at. Other RMS are available, but I think RCS64 is the best.

5) Unlike the digital standards in model railways, Scalextric Sport Digital (SSD) is not compatible with any other manufacturer's digital system (although there is some cross-over with Slot.it oXigen). ARC Pro is the current SSD powerbase/controller set-up, just released last November. Without modification, the older curved lane changers are not currently compatible with ARC Pro. All the straight lane changers (like in your set) are compatible across the various SSD powerbases, as are the pit lanes and in-car chips. Almost any car that will run on analogue Scalextric track will run on SSD with an SSD chip. Modern Scalextric car (and Pioneer Trans-Ams) are Digital Plug Ready (DPR), which means a C8515 (C8516 for F1 cars) digital plug converts them to SSD in "30 seconds". Older Scalextric cars and cars from other manufacturers need the C7005 Retro-fit chip. Cars with fasters motors than a standard 18k Mabuchi are best converted with a Slot.it SSD chip (SP15B). To run on ARC Pro, cars need black guide flags to count laps.

Hope those answers are helpful.

Hi Woodcote,

Thank you for that very comprehensive reply. So, to clarify; as it stands the "tyre wear" feature doesn't result in any degradation in grip, it just forces you to pit? Okay I get that, then.

I actually come from a model railway hobby background, so I'm reasonably familiar with digital chipping. It seems very similar with Scalextric.

A further couple of questions:

1 - The only way I can get access to the app is to buy the ARC Pro powerbase? Forgive me if it seems like a stupid question, I just want to be clear in my mind.

2 - Re the tyre wear, can the "call in" lap be changed from the usual five?

3 - Whats the advantage of using ARC Pro against ARC Air

Thanks again for your patience.

Hi Scott - The ARC app works on smart devices across three different Bluetooth-enabled powerbases, with different features available depending on the powerbase spec.

In a nutshell: ARC One is the entry-level analogue powerbase with the app acting as a lap counter with added gameplay of the pit stops. The ARC Air powerbase is the premium analogue powerbase, with wireless controllers and the app being able to control the track power. That adds in more complex gameplay, different throttle power profiles and the ability to run against an app-controlled pace car. ARC Pro is the digital system, based on SSD protocols, up to six cars on track, a separate pit lane and all the ARC Air features plus the addition of KERS and yellow flag.

More answers:

1) You can download and look round the app for free from the Apple App Store, Google Play or Amazon Fire Appstore. To use it, you need an ARC powerbase. To use it with a digital layout, you need the ARC Pro powerbase. Although the app works reliably with Apple products and, seemingly, with the current Fire tablets, it can be glitchy with android devices, either not connecting reliaby or not connecting at all. There's the all-important compatibility thread here: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/arc-app-device-compatibility/

2) Not at the moment. I'd like to see that option, but I don't actually find the five lap thing too annoying when the racing is on. There's still flexibility for strategy and pushing the pit window to the limit. Plus all these individual features can be switched on and off. There's potential for a lot of variety from the app as it is.

3) ARC Air is analogue (two-lane, two-car), ARC Pro is digital (up to six cars). See above.

Archived