Am I going to overload my controller?

The Shunter

Hi, I have a Gaugemaster Prodgidy Advance 2 and I will use this for my new layout. This controller produces (I think?) 3.5 amps. Will this be enough for my layout with 13 dcc concepts point motors, a large layout with (hopefully) lots of locos stood with lights sounds etc and absolute aspects signals. If not do I need to buy a booster for it?

Thanks,

The Shunter

Probably not.

The number of points is a bit of a 'red herring' they only draw current when being used and you will only be using one or perhaps two at the same time. If the DCC Concepts point motors you have are the Digital IP type (i.e slow action) then their current draw when operating is low anyway.

3.5 amps should be able to handle about 10 modern locos on it, particularly if many of them are stationary (even with lights and sounds switched on). Older locos do tend to require more current, but modern locos require a lot less.

Hi

It should be fine on its own. (I have one and they are nice units)  3.5Amp is 3500 milliamp (ma) so you can do the maths... 😉

For a 'rule of thumb' to help your calculations...Consider any modern DCC loco stationary without sounds or lights as a negligible current drain (it can be forgotten current wise).  With lights on and no sound allow about 15 to 20 milliamp (0.015A to 0.02A). Running then around 200ma to 250ma.  With sound on but stationary around 60ma and a sound loco running with sounds and lights on around 350 to 450ma maximum

Signals will only be  a few milliamp each lit aspect, say around 10ma. 

Point motors will depend on type... Solenoids (Hornby, Peco, Gaugemaster etc) only use current when moved but the accessory decoder will take a small load to recharge the capacitors it has on board and will vary decoder to decoder make. But allow say 20ma steady state per decoder. 

Stall motors will normally need 5ma when stalled and around 40ma when moving for the DCC Concepts Cobalt ip version.  Other makes will vary, but wont be high current.

Servo motors will draw more power and really are best powered from a totally separate power source than the DCC system.

I wouldnt worry about a Booster unless your system fails with and shows overload, then to get over this turn some sounds off and only then consider a Booster. 

Archived