AD-S8fx not functioning with e-link.Please advise

murray_robin

Hi Rob

I have just looked at your link to the RMweb site and it just goes to show that we’re not the only ones that are having problems with them but however on that note I have 2 ADS-8FX decoders and I have managed to program every port with no problems and all 16 ports works my point motors with no problems and a few of them operate double points

Hedley 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Fishmanoz

And if problems, they are replaced no questions.

How I wish that were true Fishy. My problems were with the ADS-2fx which is obviously just a smaller version of the ADS-8fx.

Actually it would be fairer to say that the problem was with DCCconcepts.

Following is a copy of the last of many email communications that I had with Peter XXXXX whose responses were very confusing to say the least.

Hi Peter

Your contradictions of your own statements are disconcerting which I partly pointed out in my last email as copied here: -

“I responded 9 Feb 17 to say I was sending a replacement ADS-2fx decoder despite the fact that the one you returned to us was fully functional when we tested it and we returned it to you.”

However you had already responded on 6 Feb - “We have received the ADS-2fx and confirm that the decoder has failed.”

Both statements can’t be true.

Likewise in your last email the failure rate you are experiencing is astronomical”

You appear to have yet to return a decoder to us that has actually failed.”

Again both statements can’t be true.

Copy of description and provider note on invoice 167694 19/12/2016.

Universal DCC Decoder CDU Solenoid Drive (2-Way, Added Features) Warranty: Replacement for defective item purchased from Hattons UK.

Norman, We cannot refund the $7.60, however we can offer a $7.60 discount on yur next purchase.

Copy of description on invoice 168456 09/02/2017.

Universal DCC Decoder CDU Solenoid Drive (2-Way, Added Features) WARRANTY: replacement for faulty decoder sent 31/01/17.

The fact that you have acknowledged on the invoices that the decoders were defective / faulty indicates that I am entitled to a $16.10 refund of postage for these two items.

I have decided that I will not return the latest faulty decoder for inspection since I have lost faith in your systems and have no desire to jump through any more hoops.

I could understand the possibility of contradictory statements being made, if they were being made by different individuals within the company, but they are all signed off on by you, which to me casts doubt on the credibility of any statement that you may make.

Since I am so disgusted with all the nonsense that has been written by you I will be sending a hard copy of this email to the CEO of DCCconcepts together with copies of the email stream.

Regards

Norman

While I'm sure many of their customers have satisfactory outcomes that is not universally true and this debate carried on over several weeks and four failed decoders.

Needless to say neither the CEO or anyone else at DCCconcepts responded. 

I didn't realise that I still had these old emails in memory but thought that they may be relevant when I saw the debate that was pointed out on the other forum.

Don't get me wrong I generally like the product and the sx version is a far superior product to the fx, but "replaced no questions"!!!!!

Thanks for adding this Norman, will store it away in memory.  First time questionable service has been reported here I think.  And personally, I’ve never had any problem with CEO Richard Johnston although that goes back a couple of years when his business was smaller. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Chrissaf,StIngr4y, Hedley and Fishmanoz - to name but a few.

Certainly a number of issues needed attention, so I thank you for your advice.

Hedley suggested that it must be simple.

On changing to a dcc concepts ADS-8sx decoder the same problems occurred, the critical breakthrough occurred at the final stage of setting up the decoder on Railway Master screen- 'left click on the relevant point button once'.

I found that this stage often needed to be repeated more than once and now seven points are effectively under Railmaster Control.

Thank you

I hope your Easter Weekend is trouble free,

Yours Aye

Murray

Hi Murray 

I’m very glad for to hear that you have now  managed to get 7 points under control with RM and that you have sussed what the problem was and also how to complete the programming of the decoder within Railmaster  as well as the point buttons and it must be a big relief to you for to get it up and running anyway I hope that you have a great Easter as well and I too hope that you’ll have now a trouble free layout with your locos running without any more problems 

Hedley

This is just a post to say thank you for all the help received from members and in particular Chris who provides excellent step by step instructions. Over Easter I bought a very cheap pre-owned ADS-2fx and 2 point motors to try electric/electronic point control for the first time. I spent a few hours making a test board with a small cross over test track and setting it up in RailMaster with the e-link. I’ll be honest I expected quite a few hiccups particularly as I found myself scratching my head a few times whilst reading the manual. By following these excellent instructions in this and the point configuration thread I got it working straight away. With such excellent hand holding the only two things that held me up was that my point graphics were the wrong way round and at first I couldn’t figure out why the point setup box would not appear with a right click. Without the extra help in these posts I don’t think I would have settled down to my Easter dinner in time! Thanks. John.

I too have been having a problem with the older model ADS-2fx.  I could only get one channel to work.

I contacted DCC Concepts and was told:

"The ADS range retain charge for some time - even when powered off and this energy can accidentally be discharged through other components with accidental connection between terminals with say a stray wire strand, or even by dropping a tiny piece of wire onto the circuit board. I know, I've done it myself.

We find that customers will wire and test one channel, switch off and then connect the next, with the potential to cause an accidental contact and damaging the other channel."

I have now replaced the unit with the far superior ADS-2sx, which is covered, has an led to indicate that the capacitors are charged and a button to discharge them.

I also asked how one might discharge the capacitors on the old fx and was told:

"The discharge for a FX boards is between solenoid common and momentary common via a 100-200 ohm 1/2W resistor. You will have to do this for each channel. Obviously being careful not to touch ant other terminals."

I hope this helps.

Archived