Select Power

Nige3333

I wonder if I'm being thick, or if I have answered my own question......

I'm returning to the hobby after quite a number of years away and I'm going down the DCC route.

I've got a select unit to control the layout, which will be making full use of an 8' by 4' board, and I'm intending to potentially have 4 or five trains running at once.

I'm aware that the select is likely to struggle with anything more than three trains running simultaneously..........I've seen reference to upping the power to 4amps........am I right in thinking that the power upgrade is achieved by changing the the cable (with built in transformer) that runs between the plug in the wall and the select unit? Is it really that simple?

Yes it really is that simple.

You need to purchase the Hornby P9300, this is the recommended Hornby 4 Amp, power supply for the Select.

Click the link above to see details of the P9300 then search the Internet for the best price.

• 1 month later...

Just to add to this old thread...

I have been testing to see exactly how many locos a Select powered by the 1-amp supply will handle before giving up the ghost.

I started with 3 x TTS diesels plus lights and sound, then added an 0-4-0, winding them all up to max speed. No overload after 10 minutes.

To simulate hauling heavy trains I parked a laden box file across the tracks and got these 4 locos to push against that. After 5 minutes of wheelspin still no overload.

2 more TTS diesels were added and an 0-6-0, again with lights and sound on, all pushing this box file. After a couple of minutes the Select started to reboot repeatedly proving the 1-amp supply was self protecting by dropping its output voltage.

I do not have enough locos to try to overload the 4-amp supply, but the ‘coin on the rails‘ short circuit test works with both power supplies, so I was happy with that confirming protection.

Moral of the story - your 1-amp power supply and Select (or eLink) will probably run more locos at normal speeds and loads than you think it might.

I didn’t actually check with the eLink to see what happens during an overload as mine is wired to my points with a 4-amp supply. Maybe try that next time, unless someone out there knows the answer.

Rob

Archived