Function mapping in RM

Hi all

I was wondering about function mapping in RM and I had try to search the forum and nothing turned up on the search.

I wanted to know if I could keep the function 0 for normal directional lighting and then have rule 17 with the dipping of lights on anothey function button like function 5 onwards using RM or do I have to change the settings for function 0 to incorporate rule 17 as I had heard about using the different lighting scenarios with function mapping and I’m not sure how to program my decoders functions with RM and the function buttons that appears on the loco list 

I would be very grateful once again for any help or advice with how to get the effects with the lighting as I have seen something mentioned in the manual about functions but it was in the section for automation on the layout and I wasn’t sure if it’s exactly the same but I can’t remember if it had mentioned mapping 

thanks very much again Hedley

Hedley, function mapping is a feature in some advanced decoders only.  It will be explained fully in the manual for the decoder with these features and will be implemented by setting particular CVs that will be specific to that decoder.  RM will be able to set those CVs.  No function mapping is available in Hornby’s basic 8249 or TTS decoders. 

Hi Fishy

thanks very much again and the reason for my question was that I was going to get a gaugemaster 4 function decoder for my loco that I’m working on at the moment as the circuit board is kaput so I have to hard wire a decoder in and that mentions about rule 17 and that’s what the reason was for me asking but when I get one I’ll go through the instructions and have a look for the programming of the CVs also the Hornby decoder is too big for my locos 

but thanks very much again Hedley 

Hedley just to reinforce what Fishy has said.

All the function mapping is done within the decoder. All you are doing in RM is listing these set functions against the engine. When you press any function in RM it only does what the decoder is programmed with. The description can be anything you give it and it is there just to help you recognise the function.

Rob

Hi Rob 

thanks very much again for your help and advice I have had a look at the manual for the decoder and it tells you what CVs to change for the different effects and it also says that for to play around with the functions and if it doesn’t give what you want just to reset the decoder and start again anyway I have decided for to get one of these decoders and see how things go but by changling the CVs at least I’ll learn by doing it and as the manual says if I make mistakes just to reset the decoder settings and start again anyway thanks very much again for yours and Fishy’s help and advice Hedley 

Archived