tts decoder

dream walker

good day /having now purchased several tts decoders and come across many problems/A1/A3 TTS decoder  removed digitrax decoder and replaced with tts A1/A3 loco went forward then stopped decoder become very hot no sound at all checked address no reading /tested speaker ok so problem yet again with tts returning back to retailer for full refund.in the last month hormby 4f tts loco decoder went down started making crackling sound then stopped working unable to read /class 40 tts loc same problem/ looking at soldering on chip very poor .the cost of tts very cheap  i no why. no more tts for me this is getting very costley .tts in king class still working replacment in 4ftts loco still working at the moment.i will only purchase top bran sound decoders.from now on been using digitrax sfx sound decoders for over 10 years and still working fine /the other problem i see with tts decoders is reading cv they dont all work..the tts sound is not bad if you replace the speakers but what good is that if they keep going down i realy wished hornby had  hit the market with tts sound the cost of these decoders are great if they work. hornby please sort it

Are you asking a question dream walker or just having a little vent.  We know these decoders work although with 3 documented shortcomings:

- the speaker fails more than you would expect, sometimes resulting in crackling and often needs to be replaced with a smaller sugar cube type anyway.

- older locos can overload it

- there is a firmware issue with some and usually only with other than Hornby controllers, fixed by contacting HCC for return to update the firmware. What controller are you using?

You say you can’t read TTS CVs. I can read them no problem with eLink or Elite. Railmaster also reads them by the dozen for you. Often it is the controller that can’t read CVs as some effectively program on the main.

You must be the unluckiest person on this forum to have three TTS decoders in a row go belly up.

In such circumstances look for the common factor...

Rob

I’ve fitted several TTS decoders to other models such as bachmann class 37’s as well as upgrading the speaker on dozens of others for people and only one decoder has failed in that whole time (which I got a full refund on), I dont think the quality is bad at all. The area where they lack the most in my opinion is that some locos require a lot of CV changes to make them run smoothly, something that surprised me when even the cheapest none sound decoders will still achieve smooth running with very little (if any) adjustment. If so many if the decoders you are fitting have failed maybe check how you are fitting them, are they getting crushed maybe or is something allowing them to short out?

Richard

hi  the dcc controler i use is a digitrax which  can read cv with out any problems and  the computer is used with a digitrax programer which can change sound files  theres nothinging my set up can not do with cv reading.i do no hornby decoders dont like bachmann motors which in case i reset the motor funtion. ii have been using dcc for well over 10 years. the sfx digitrax sound decoders cost around £45.00 for 8bit to £55.00 for 16bit cost more than tts but do a lot more and have stay alive.what i am saying is tts are could value only if they work/ the sound is very good for the cost .has for cv reading i have had problems with all tts decoder  i am not new to the dcc sound i have been using it for over 10 years i no how to read all cv settings.i can also read cv from my computer using elink .has for crackling speaker i replaced the speaker  and the crackling was the same i replaced it with i digitrax box speaker which cost around £9.00 so i am not using cheap speakers  the 4f tts loco was  new .i no hornby tts use  8 ohm  so i match the  ohm perfect.

the common factor is they are not up to the job i have been doing dcc sound for over 10 years i do my own sound files. my set up can read any cvs with out problems the problem is in the tts decoder  i can add wav files i can change whistle sounds i can do most anything i want to change  on cvs. with digitrax sfx decoders. there is a problem with the tts decoder. i hope hornby can put this right has the cost of the decoders is realy good.and i do like the sound  that come from them.

hi   i do no  that hornby tts decoders dont like bachmann motors and i always change the motor funtions  tts  .i no you can get locos to run better by changing cvs  that goes for most decoders they need a liitle fine tuning.i would never put a hornby tts in heljan has the motor draws more current i would not connect a smoke unit to a tts has this my over load it. so i do take great care before i fitt a tts i dont think its anything i am doing  thats coursing the proplem .

OK now we have that squared away.

You realise you cannot change the sounds on TTS decoders or even remap them onto other function buttons as they are a write once read many times device. All you can do is alter the volume(s) and change a few CV parameters like accel, decell, motor algorithms, etc.

I would have thought your controller would be able to readback CV values.

Rob

You realise you cannot change the sounds on TTS decoders or even remap them onto other function buttons as they are a write once read many times device. All you can do is alter the volume(s) and change a few CV parameters like accel, decell, motor algorithms, etc.

Rob

it can i no you can not do much with the tts  but it should read its own values

Rob

it can i no you can not do much with the tts  but it should read its own values

i have problems reading tts cv150.i can do all my cvs and read back on my computer with digitrax decoders i can read all my hornby tts using my elink.and using my digi master staion set up

Please Dream Walker, as Rob requested and I am re-iterating. Please stop clicking the 'White Arrow in Blue Button'. This is not a 'Reply to this post button. I have just removed about 10 of your posts where you just clicked the blue button, but didn't add anything new. Even the ones I left behind, make it difficult to tell what is old and what is new text. The 'Reply' box is located at the very bottom of the page along with the Green 'Reply' button.

Not having a go. It just makes it far easier to help if we can see what is new text. It makes for easier reading. All relative newbies use the blue button. I blame the forum software developers for putting it there, where newbies expect a 'reply to post' button to be.

Maybe this will help.

/media/tinymce_upload/d188321cb08f0b260e3c15de36a8d34a.jpg

Archived